• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Zulu has a bulging eye UD- Good News :)

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Zulu is a small REW taken from the 20 buns rescued Tuesday.

I have given his bum a good clean and de-matting today (basically bald around his tail now :shock: ) and went to put some Tiacil in his eyes which have been watering......which is when I noticed one wasn't just swollen but protruding from the socket :?

Does this sound like it could be a retrobulbar abcess?

Last edited:
I'm sorry to say, Yes it does sound like a retrobulbular abscess :cry:

Could also be cancer, but neither prognosis is particulary good.

Sorry Sooz :cry:

Amy

Oh dear :(

Ive only just finished tidying him up as well. Ill pop him to see Anita with Briony & Connie tomorrow.

Could it be glaucoma? When my dog had it her eye bulged with the pressure - ended up taking it out as the meds didn't work for her

Sounds like Maa's eye before it was removed - she's been fine nearly 2yrs with one eye, although the abscess came back a couple of times until the cause had worked its way out (piece of hay :shock: ) and 2nd abscess was caused by undissolved stitches from the eye op :rolleyes:

Anyway - baytril wouldn't touch it - I had a swab analysed and metronidazole knocked out the bugs in a week so don't despair :) Although it did cost me £550 :cry:

Zulu is going to see Anita tomorow at 2:30pm.....can we have some good luck vibes please.

Great news for Zulu.

He has the all clear and has been declared fit & healthy (but a little underweigth).

His eye looks like its protruding because it is out of line with the eye on the other side of the face.....so when you look at him face on it appears closer to you. He has no pain or reflex to it as would be expected with a retrobulbar abcess and as he has a raveing appetite Anita said not to worry.

He is gong to have a retina scan under GA when he is neutered just to be 100% though.

More good news is Anita & Rob are ganging up on John to get my discount raised :D

Back