• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Training

svenda

New Kit
I only got my new bunny yesterday, i know its really early but already having a nightmare with his toilet training.

He has not been going in the same place, i woke this morning to find his droppings everywhere in his area

I really dont know what to do, each time last night i scooped them up and put them in his litter tray but he is taking no notice of this.

so i moved his tray away and put some droppings in one of the areas he had already been in, but again this hasnt worked.

I know it will take time but from what iv seen so far im really not getting my hopes up

Please help

Babies aren't so good at toilet training - how old is he? Also if you have any other pets it will make him want to scent mark his area for his own territory. The best way I know is to put hay for them to eat in the tray, with wood or paper based litter on the bottom of the tray, and give them at least 2 or 3 trays even if the floor is crowded with them.

If he's only young and not neutered you'll find it a bit of a nightmare to be honest.

If he is neutered then just persevere. he'll get the message eventually.

He is 8 months old so not really a baby anymore.

He hasnt been neutered yet, am hoping to get him done soon tho.

I think i was lucky with Charly. He was trained in about a week (he was 12 weeks old). I saw a tip to put him in his litter tray whilst he is eating as they tend to have a poo whilst they are munching away. We did this and hey presto it worked. He does appear to poo and eat at the same time. As far as weeing he must have decided it was better to go in the litter tray. In fact he won't go anywhere else now! I don't know whether you fancy trying this won't do any harm might work too. Good luck. Kath X

I agree with the other replies, and just wanted to ass that they're all different. Tank's been with us since 8 weeks and we introduced a litter tray from day one. He's now 12 weeks (tmw) and is probably about 90% reliable (easily forgets sometimes when out). Saxon's been with us since Wednesday, is 17 weeks today, as far as I know hasn't seen a litter tray before us and so far has at least tried to use his litter tray every time he's been out. So far he's just more fastidious than Tank :D

Back