• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Attishoooo

Pardon my title but I have had Flopsy for 3 months (he is 5 months old) and have noticed he seems to be sneezing - in 3 months I have only heard it 3 times but is this what people call "snuffles"? If so and it is only every now and again does he need treatment?

He is booked in for neutering in next couple of weeks would this mean he cannot have it done? Will he need medication forever? Does this mean he will not live as long?

HELP!!!!!!!!:cry: :cry:

Does he have any discharge coming from his nose? Are his 'hankerchiefs' matted?

Rabbits do sneeze when somethin irritates their nose or airways.....it could be that he has just been tickled by some dust or a stray piece of hay.

Thanks for reply

No discharge from nose and nothing visable at all on face - he seems as normal and happy as ever.

He doesn't have sawdust on his top level of hutch at all only on bottom and he doesn't have any other symptoms except this very rare sneeze. Does this mean is is okay?

Out on a limb I would say its not Snuffles as this is usually signified by nasal discharge. If the sneezing is infrequent again I dont think you need to worry. The treatment for Snuffles is antibiotics and they are not the sort of thing you want to go giving a bunny if you can help it.

Just keep an eye and an ear open!

Big Thank You

Very big thankyou for your help as I was kinda worrying. I desperately want Flopsy to be healthy (guilty from getting him from pet shop but cud not leave him there as he was only one on his own in hutch) and just feel a whole lot better as I am not clued up on diseases as at.

Hopefully can get on with neutering him and get him a girlfriend if I can find a rescue centre in north east. Finding this really hard as everywhere seems to be down south. Any help on rescue centres - can travel an hour or so from Hartlepool no problem but would need someone who could help with bonding. I am willing to take on any small lop/lionhead or anything else which will bond with Flopsy as I don't want him to spend Xmas all alone. Expense not a problem as I have a very understanding hubby who knows how much I love Flopsy.

My sense of geography is shocking but we are Sheffield S Yorkshire and I actually prefere to do bondings here.

We have a lovely lionhead in foster care at the moment (loosing a few pounds before her spey) but we also have another 6 girlies as well!

Whre exactly are you

I am excited now - where exactly are you? I am rubbish on geography (sorry cos I do work in a school and should be ashamed) how far are you by car? Can give you my post code ts25 1ef if thats any help.

I really dont know....I will Pm you my postcode if you want to search it on street maps online?

I chose history over geography at school, can tell you all about the Cuban missile crisis but naff all about how to get to Sheffield :oops:

That would be most helpful - thank you! I am only any good at literacy, numeracy and science (thanks to working with Year 5/6 at school). Think I have learnt more this time around (being 38) than i ever did when I was at school.

Back