• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bringing outdoor buns in for winter!

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
Just wondered does anybody here bring there outdoor bunnies inside over the winter period.

My two live outside in separate hutches. I was planning to get dog crates for them and bring them in at night and then put them back into there hutch each morning. Is it ok to do this?
I know they could probably survive outside with an insulated hutch but for peace of mind I 'd rather bring them in.

I'd rather have them inside all the time or outside all the time. Don't switch between the two.
By staying outside at day the bunnies will get a winter coat, if they are moved inside then it gets too hot, then their winter coat may fall of, moving them out the day after again causes it to get too cold and then the bunnies get sick.

Sorry to tag on to this post. but i posted in chat the other week about briniging my bunnies in during winter. I was advised that this would be fine. I was suggesting though that they are brought inside for the whole winter and only put back outside again in the summer/spring, not in and out all day. What do people think of this?
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=102306
I would like them as house bunnies all the time, but think they need some fresh air in the summer, the hosue can get very hot if we are out all day and the windows are closed.

Thanks!

Sorry to tag on to this post. but i posted in chat the other week about briniging my bunnies in during winter. I was advised that this would be fine. I was suggesting though that they are brought inside for the whole winter and only put back outside again in the summer/spring, not in and out all day. What do people think of this?
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=102306
I would like them as house bunnies all the time, but think they need some fresh air in the summer, the hosue can get very hot if we are out all day and the windows are closed.

Thanks!

I think really you have the ideal solution, I'd do it myself if I could.

I think really you have the ideal solution, I'd do it myself if I could.
I did that last year. I hadn't intended to, but Bournville was poorly and vet advised that he come indoors overnight(with Floss as they are bonded)...and then put them both back in the hutch the following afternoon with plenty of hay and a snugglesafe if the weather was really cold. However, it was such fun having them indoors that I "felt he wasn't quite right yet";) ;) and thought another day or two would be best. Then the temperatures plummeted! They were in with us for nearly 3 months until late Spring!!! It was fantastic! However, unless one gets poorly again they'll be outside in their nice snug hutch all winter.

Mine are indoor buns, but goe outside in their hutch and run while I hoover once a week, is that ok? O should I hoover quickly while they are in a pet carrier in another room?

I never really thought about the hoover bothering them..they tended to scuttle off into the kitchen or bathroom if they were worried!

I never really thought about the hoover bothering them..they tended to scuttle off into the kitchen or bathroom if they were worried!

Mine are locked in my room, so when I hoover they cant go in another room by themselves if they are scared, so I've always put them somewhere they cant hear it. Do you think they'll be ok, going outside for an hour or so during the winter?

Mine sleep indoors at night all year round and in the summer go out in the hutch all day and in the run when i get home from work for a few hours so they get grass and fresh air etc.Then they come back in to run round the house for the evening and then sleep. As it gets darker earlier/ colder they go in their run for shorter periods and in their hutch less until they aren't out there at all for winter (unless have some freaky sunny winter warm days) and then as it starts getting warmer in spring they gradually start going out for parts of the daytime again until they are back in their summer routine.:)

Mine sleep indoors at night all year round and in the summer go out in the hutch all day and in the run when i get home from work for a few hours so they get grass and fresh air etc.Then they come back in to run round the house for the evening and then sleep. As it gets darker earlier/ colder they go in their run for shorter periods and in their hutch less until they aren't out there at all for winter (unless have some freaky sunny winter warm days) and then as it starts getting warmer in spring they gradually start going out for parts of the daytime again until they are back in their summer routine.:)

So where do you keep them at night, is it a cool room? So do the bunnies seem ok with this set up?
My bunnies are outside all day at the moment but when the colder weather comes in I wanted to bring them in at night probably about 8pm to 7am then put them in their hutch outside whilst I was at work, is this a bad set up?

So where do you keep them at night, is it a cool room? So do the bunnies seem ok with this set up?
My bunnies are outside all day at the moment but when the colder weather comes in I wanted to bring them in at night probably about 8pm to 7am then put them in their hutch outside whilst I was at work, is this a bad set up?

Sleep in the sitting room at night (is not that toasty in there in the winter as is an old house but not like outside!). They only go outside if it is warm enough (and they have lots of hay and bedding their hutch and insulation). I do what you are planning to do all summer and while it is warm but when it gets colder they stay in during the day unless it is a nice sunny warm one. Is a tricky one coz I know if they are outside buns they develop a warm winter coat but if they are inside buns they don't really so if you then keep them in at night and then put them out in the day they will get cold. Are you bringing them in as in into your house or into a shed?

Sleep in the sitting room at night (is not that toasty in there in the winter as is an old house but not like outside!). They only go outside if it is warm enough (and they have lots of hay and bedding their hutch and insulation). I do what you are planning to do all summer and while it is warm but when it gets colder they stay in during the day unless it is a nice sunny warm one. Is a tricky one coz I know if they are outside buns they develop a warm winter coat but if they are inside buns they don't really so if you then keep them in at night and then put them out in the day they will get cold. Are you bringing them in as in into your house or into a shed?

I was planning on bringing them into the house as there is no room in the shed, there is also no light getting in.
I dont know what to do now. I dont want to bring them in if does them more harm than good.

I think if you bring themin for the winter then they have to stay in all the time until the weather improves in Spring as the changes in temperature would be too much.

I think if you bring themin for the winter then they have to stay in all the time until the weather improves in Spring as the changes in temperature would be too much.

Ok then, I'll stick mine in the pet carrier and do a quick hoover, they hate it outside anyway!

Mine have got a cat flap into the house from their run, so they can come & go as they please in the evenings. At the moment I've got one in, and one with his head through the flap trying to decide :roll: . If they get too hot they can go back out again. They sleep outside.

I think I'll keep them outside then. I better invest in some heavy covers.

Back