• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sloppy Poo / matted furr

Bhm1712

Young Bun
my bun has started to do really really sloppy poos, so much so that it sticks to her furr and matts together. not quite diarroea poo but never the less, very sloppy and smelly. she is eating and drinking ok, and she has done some dry tods in between but the slops still coming! there has been no diet change at all

any ideas?

she must have not been eatting her celotropes( sorry i cant spell it) theses are the soft poos whihc you should really never see as they should eat them its the eqivilant of a cow chewing its cudd but a rabbit doent have 2 tums! there must be a rason for her not eatting theses, i sust you clean her bum with some damp pape and make sure its dry. there are a few reasons why she might not be eatting them, chagin of diet, but you have indicated you havent done this so it could be that she is over weight? and is not able to reach to eat the soft poos. there are many other reasons too which im sure the people on here will advise you of, it is howeer ery ipotant that you keep her bum clean as with poo on there she is at risk of fly strike and you really really dont want that!

no she is not on excel pellets, she wont eat them!

ill try reducing her food, is there any need to get worried yet?

Not really if she seems fine in every other way. I'd try reducing the food a bit first and if that doesn't solve the problem after a few days, I'd pop her up the vet just to check.

Oh and I just thought, you need to get the sloppy poo off of her or she may get flystrike. I find you can if you trim it off carefully with scissors, it's the easiest way.

Last edited:
One of my bunnies did a few sticky poops the other day so I cut down veg to minimum (half a leaf of greens - no grass) pellets to minimum (couple of teaspoons morning and night) and gave extra hay to them - I normally give fresh hay morning and evening. This sorted the problem as usually it's caused by not enough hay plus too much dry food/veg.

If you want to clean her up use some baby wipes for the worst of it, then rub in cooking cornflour as it will help slide the dirt off without getting her wet. Really she needs a diet change as she can't live in this state without flies getting her.

Back