• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Frasier on Baytril - Success!

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
I was worried about Frasier bun's breathing as its been quite heavy lately with the odd snort! Vet says his chest is clear but he has a snotty nose which she thinks is more to do with his eyes than anything else. She's given me oral Baytril and Chloramphenicol eye ointment to put directly in his eye. If it clears up in 14 days it will mean we don't have to flush his tear ducts.

The vet said if I dip the tip of the syringe in Ribena he might take it more easily. Do you have any other tips? I don't want to stress him out any more today...

Other than that he is fine - nothing stops this bunny eating...!!;)

Last edited:
Er...dilute with apple juice or ribeana....dip the end of the syringe in jam or honey or mix it with honey and smear it on a cabbage leaf (good for bunnies who struggle).

Er...dilute with apple juice or ribeana....dip the end of the syringe in jam or honey or mix it with honey and smear it on a cabbage leaf (good for bunnies who struggle).

Oooh great tips...Frasier loves his food so putting it on something rather than forcing it thru syringe might help..:D

i read on this very forum that people hide meds in brown bread..... its worked a treat here, a tiny piece of brown bread soaked up the baytril and Alvin ate every last bit, even sniffed for more!! and still luvs me because we didnt have to keep catching him :D

Another fabby idea....I'm going to try Frasier with a tiny bit of brown bread now just to see if he likes it on its own b4 I put any baytril on it. Don't want to waste any...thanks!:D

I have a number of baytril recipes including a few porridge oats made with baytril sauce (soak about a teaspoon of oats in a little baytril and water), syringing it into a piece of banana, or painstakingly hand feeding pieces of science selective with a tiny bit dripped onto the outside of each piece.

Okay just tried him with some bread and he ate it...not wild over it tho. Do you think its okay to inject Baytril into some apple - he goes wild over apple?

id put it in anything that the bun was guarenteed to eat.... i put it on apple and waited for about 20mins before he ate the lot... little demon....lol

Do you think its okay to inject Baytril into some apple - he goes wild over apple?

Yep I've done that before - I cut a corner off a piece of apple and score it deeply with a knife so the baytril soaks well into it.

The main problem I have with baytril is that it is so bitter they seem to be able to taste it on just about anything, and quickly cotton onto how you are trying to hide it from them!

Hi i was the one that suggested brown bread cos my french lop loves it, but I am sure if your bun loves apple that would be just great. I found that trying to syringe it I risked losing some of the medicine. Whereas with the bread it all went down the right way. Good luck.Pam

I have been lucky enough to have a few buns who I just syringed it straight onto their morning SS and they didnt even notice ;)

Thanks Guys!

Right I've just injected a nice big juicy bit of apple with the baytril. I'm leaving it to marinade for a little bit to make sure its all soaked in b4 I try feeding it to him...paws crossed!! xx:D

Hurrah!! Frasier eat it all up and even licked up the little bits he missed from the floor....had to give another bit of apple (non treated) just to thank him!!:oops: :D :lol: :lol: All the other buns got some apple too as can't have a war breaking out..:rolleyes: :lol:

Success - Frasier happily eat up his apple with baytril again this morning...and we had a nice snuggle while I put the drops in his eyes too. He is so laid back...as long as you have the right foodies!:lol: :love:

I have a rat who is on almost perminant Baytril:( I have to swap and change what I put it in because after a few days he gets bored and I have to find a new thing.

Luckely rats can eat many more things than rabbits, and he eats little so I dont have to worry about weight. Snicker chocolate spread, jam, yogurt, egg mayo, tuna mayo, cheese, chocolate drops, soaked into biscuit crumbs, baby food.

I think that they still know it is their but the pay off it worth it.

Back