• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Too thin?

Fran

Warren Veteran
While Tufty was at the vet on Monday he said that she was too thin and she's lost a lot of weight since she last was weighed. I don't know how to get some more weight on her though because they each get 50g of pellets every evening, veg in the morning and she's a good hay eater as well so what can I do to make her gain some weight? She has been doing more running around since she's been bonded with two of the others but he said it can't just be because of that :? I don't think it's that the other two are taking all the food either, I always thought she took most of it. Thank you x

I'd say get the vet to check her teeth first, incase she isn't eating as much as you think she is. If its not a teeth/ any health problem, I'd say to give her a few more fatty treats, like banana or carrot.

Porridge oats are good for putting weight on a bun, for my nethie I give about a teaspoon daily, moistened with some warm water until they have expanded - she loves them!

Eating normally but losing weight can be a sign of something like a hidden infection (e.g. my Santa rapidly loses weight when she has a bout of snuffles coming on) as well as problems with organs or even stress.

If you really don't think the others are nicking the food and she is skinny, then I think I'd be asking the vet to do some blood tests and see what those come back with :?

Good luck x

Back