• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting a New Bunny Rabbit!!!!

Okay (deep breath) we are getting a new rabbit to hopefully bond with our Cookie, keep each other warm at night, and fill each others' lives with happiness, companionship, and love. We are setting up two big runs near each other but not too near, figuring out who gets what toys, bowls, hutch, etc., with out hyperventilating as we worry about the bond process. I finally found a vet not too far away who is comfortable neutering buns--now we have to decide if we should get calm, gentle, happy Cookie spayed at the same time, later, or not at all as she is so good right now. We'll have to see if she gets hormonal seeing a male so near and gets too fiesty. Wish us luck!! Any new advice is more than welcome!!!
1. Yes, the new bunny will be neutered as soon as he settles in.
2. Yes, Cookie is an unspayed 2-3 year old female--she was used by a breeder for her first 2 years before we got her.
3. We won't let them together at all before the neuter or for the 8 weeks after the operation.
4. When the time comes, we will put them in all new neutral territory.
What else?????

Personally I'm not sure what else... sounds like you have it quite well organised! But then again, I've never bonded so best wait for a more experienced reply! :D

Got two big runs set up--whew, am I tired from all that labor! Cookie likes her new area, after inspecting every inch and nook and cranny. We split up the toys and stuff--we are planning on switching stuff back and forth between their runs if that is okay. I thought that would help them get used to each other's scent. Does that sound right or will that make them angry at sharing if I don't wash their scent off between switches?

I think that anything you can do to get them used to each others scent is helpful... I would imagine that there'll be a lot of chinning going on :lol:

Have you chosen Cookies potential new mate yet?

Sounds like you have all bases covered and I fully sympathise with the nerves.. I'm the biggest wuss when it comes to bonding :oops:

We are so excited! Tonight we pick up our new rabbit from the fair where the owner was showing his rabbits! (Shudder!! I hated to see all those over-heated, bored bunnies in tiny little wire cages! But that will be another thread!) It is a male young adult black Dutch. Our Cookie is a black and white spotted mini Rex, so they should even look cuter together! We thought about a black English Spotted, but was told they are difficult to bond and kind of fiesty (is this true???)
We haven't decided on a name, but 'Puzzles' is what 5 year old Julia thinks it will be, if it fits. Any other suggestions?
Hopefully I will post pictures tomorrow!!

Back