• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very, very worried.

Today i took my Violet to the vets to be spayed.They said they had no problems with her surgery and that she recovered well.She has been home about an hour now and hasn't eaten a thing.Turned her nose up at everything i have offered her.I'm so worried.I don't know what else to do.I even tried to give her her favourite treats..she turned her nose up.Her operation was at lunchtime, it is now 8.14 pm.Nothing i have offered seems to work..even fruit.She has not been to the toilet either.She is a giant continental and i might like to add i have never had a female rabbit spayed before.Her brother Bugs was castrated last week and was eating as soon as he saw his food bowl was full.I know for a female it's a much worse operation..but i had hoped at least she would eat.Has anyone else encountered this at all? I'm so scared i'll find her dead in the morning.It would be my fault as i sent her to be spayed :cry: :cry:

My rabbit went under GA a few weeks ago and would not eat anything until the following day. We stayed up late with him to try and tempt him with all his favourite food but he did not want to know. Keep a close eye on her and keep trying to tempt her, if she doesn't eat by tomorrow morning give your vet a call.

Awwwww try not to get too upset. She will feel very groggy and sore. Hopefully the Vet will have given her pain relief and a gut motility stimulant AFTER the op'

Warmth and fluids are the most important thing at the moment. So snuggle her up INDOORS and offer her water from a bowl rather than a bottle.

A gratted carrot/apple mix can tempt post spay buns to eat. Also some hand picked grass and dandelion leaves.
Hopefullly she will start to nibble at some food overnight and should have produced a few poos by the morning.

Do try to be calm around her (easier said than done I know) as she will pick up on your anxiety. If she is still not eating/pooing by the morning then I'd contact the Vet to request more pain relief and gut motility stimulant.

Janex

I guess she is just a little uncomfortable and does feel like anything. It happened do my dog when she was operated...she went nearly 2 days without eating just drinking a bit. So hopefuly she will start eating soon when she feels a little bit better!;) Good luck!

When Mhairi was spayed last year she never ate anything when she got home, but started eating the next day. Try not to worry:wave:

Squidgy was VERY groggy when he came back from his neuter. He snuggled up on a hot water bottle covered in a towel and just wanted to eat grass and dandelion leaves. He didn't poop for about 16 hours and I was worried sick, but he soon bounced back!
Hope she feels better soon.

Don't worry, I had Willow speyed on Monday and she didn't eat until Tuesday pm and then she only nibbles a bit but started eating a tiny bit on Wednesday morning and then more by the afternoon, so it was nearly 48 hours, make sure she has lots os bits to tempt her especially dandelion leaves and water and that she is inside and quiet.

I am sure she will be fine, good luck

You can always give your vet a call if your worried or she gets any worse :)

Usually they wake up a bit better around 2am, so keep checking on her and encouraging her to eat and drink - put water in a dish beside her and hopefully she'll be recovering tomorrow, otherwise go back to the vets for some gut stimulant. She'll want a top-up of the painkillers Saturday probably, so book her in just incase :)

I have to ring the vet anyway as they want to see her in 3 days.She is so unlike herself, normally when i go in the hutch for what ever reason she is aggressive and boxes and tries to bite me.I am not getting any reaction at all.if i brought her in the house she would be more stressed because i have big dogs about which she normally has no contact with.I have covered her hutch and when i last felt her ears she felt warm enough.I will continue to check her periodically until i go to bed if i feel she's cold i will bring her in.My vet said being as it quite warm at night here she should be ok.I am so worried.Spaying was the only option for her as she is so territorial and getting large too.Bugs her brother is a sweetheart give me bunny kisses and runs round me in circles in the morning.All i normally get from Violet is an outraged grunt! I so miss her being like that which is why i am so worried.Could she be freaked out because i removed all the woodflakes from her hutch and gave her paper instead?She has her litter tray in there, but i had to replace the shavings with wood based catlitter for safety.She has a fair bit of hay in there to keep warm or eat as well.I just hope she's going to be ok as when i first got her she had bloat given to her by the breeder and she didn't eat nor poo for 3 days.I got her over that quite easily without any real harm done but it did make me wonder because she was skeletal when i got her as was Bugs.I just hope she eats over night.Am sorry to go on but i am sat here crying feeling so guilty that i did this to her.:cry:

Last edited:
Aw don't feel bad. I am always completely in a stress whenever I've had any of my buns speyed but they've all been ok.
We had Daisy done most recently and she was just completely out of it the first evening home. I don't think she ae that day and only started nibbling the next.
I made sure she had water offered to her periodically in a bowl and left the bowl of water near her.
I also make sure i have a supply of tempting bits in. Often quite strong tasting things or things they've previously disliked can work.
For a couple of days all Daisy would eat was various herbs, leaves from apple tree or blackberry bush etc and hand picked grass. I also followed a tip someone gave me on here which is to dip the leaves into water first so she took more fluids that way too. (spinach she ate too)
Dont be afraid to call your vet and just ask advice too. I think I phoned my vet 4 times over a couple of days regarding Daisy :oops: cos they were prepared to have her back in and give her a gut stimulant if she didn't perk up.
Sending vibes for Violet and for you too. Good luck I hope she's brighter in the morning x x x

there's no need to panic (although I did the same thing :shock: ) but she's probably just still wearing off and coming to conclusions with things, it's a pretty big op for a little bunny.
My rabbit didn't eat the first day, I think it's just cause they don't feel like eating which is fair enough.

Thank you all so much for your advice.Am going to check on her in a minute.I left her greens and mix in a bowl and enough hay to feed a horse (or warm a giant rabbit)If she hasn't eaten i will tell the vet in the morning as i have to make an appointment for her on saturday.She even hated being in the car.Bugs didn't mind so much but she had her ears flat to her head and wet herself:( I felt bad taking her there for it to be done but i saw no other way she is about 6 months now and the aggression has got slowly worse.Advice given from here and other friends was to spey her for MY own saftey:shock: :shock: Yes she gave me stitches in my hand a few weeks ago:roll: A rabbit is for life not just the summer i say no matter how they actually turn out.I'm hoping she will calm down and be as soft and soppy as bugs(who thinks he's a dog)Together they are like jekyll and hyde in temperament.Will keep posting and letting everyone know how she's doing.I feel so guilty.

I've just been to check her and her ears are cool but not cold to the touch.She still hasn't eaten.She has however been for a wee in her tray.She is sitting hunched up but this time she actually made a move to the back of the hutch when i opened it.Fingers crossed.Will check her one last time before i go to bed when i let the dogs out for a final pee.Hopefully she will be a little more alert.

Try not to worry, Violet's Mummy. We've been through it four times now and can truly sympathise. Without wishing to state the obvious she's just had the rabbit equivalent of a hysterectomy.

Neil

Neither Violet or bugs have refused food since i got them over the bloat the breeder gave them.It's too dark to find any outside right now,she likes bramble leaves too so i might just grab a load early in the morning before i do the nursery run.Hopefully she'll be interested.

Neither Violet or bugs have refused food since i got them over the bloat the breeder gave them.It's too dark to find any outside right now,she likes bramble leaves too so i might just grab a load early in the morning before i do the nursery run.Hopefully she'll be interested.

is there no way you can bring her inside? that way you can keep an eye on her without having to keep going outside. she;ll be nice and warm that way x

If i could persuade the kennel to take my dogs in at 11 pm!Most of my downstairs floor is open plan i have nowhere really suitable.My vet said she would be ok as the weather is very warm today and humid tonight.It's no warmer inside than it is outside at the moment.I would be terrified the dogs would stress her as my dogs aren't exactly small.I assumed as the weather is so good at the moment she would be less stressed in her surroundings.I will keep everyone posted.

Back