• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Double Trouble!

babybunnies3

Alpha Buck
My two dwarf lops live together and pine if they are apart :cry:
I'm trying to reduce the amount of pellets they are eating.
They always have fresh hay available but prefer the pellets, (they are fed twice a day) Dumpling loves to eat and will sit and scoff the food I put in until she is full but Treacle doesn't so I'm worried she won't get her fair share.
They won't eat separately and Dumpling is already a lil bit fatter than Treacle :shock: :shock:
Does anyone have any ideas that could help??

I have the same problem, Katy eats faster than Homer (as he has had teeth problems lately) and pinches his food. He has lost some weight recently and she appears to have gained it, I wonder why????

I try to split a cabbage leaf/carrot in half and push Katy away gently if she tries to pinch it from him.

You could try temporarily separating them, just for the time it takes them to eat the food maybe? Although they might get distressed about this and I'm not sure how long buns can be separated like this to reject each other later. Mine pinch each others food too, you could try feeding one at one end of the hutch and the other at the other end. I did notice that my girl ate a lot more than my boy this morning... he was obviously too slow :lol: I have been hand feeding their evening feed, I'm trying to build up trust with my new girl, but also I then know they are at least getting the same amount in the evening. I don't give them a lot in the evening, so it doesn't take too long :)

Do they have their own bowls?
When Zakura's brothers lived together I fed them both in different bowls and made sure they both got their share (both threw themselves at the pellets, and wouldn't look up till it was all empty)
Usually both would fly at the first bowl that was filled but when that happened I just pushed one of them aside into the other bowl.

i wondered about this for my future buns. I'm going to be using a pellet dispenser and I was wondering if they would get their fair share? Sorry i've hijacked your thread, babybunnies23.

Thanks for the advice guys, Zakura, they have one bowl between them, might try them with two, not sure if it will work cus Treacle tends to have a few pellets, wander off then come back for more as she feels like it while Dumpling won't move! :roll:

Feel free LionHeadLuver!!! :lol:

Back