• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Netting for rabbit pen?

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
Does anyone know where I can get some strong netting for a rabbit enclosure?

The enlclosure doesnt have a proper lid at the moment and my partner thinks a mesh and wooden lid wouldnt quite work as its an ocatagon shape enclosure.

Most people recommend welded mesh rather than chicken wire type netting.

Most of the hardware sheds do it (B&Q, Homebase etc), but I just bought two rolls from Underwoods.

Silly question but why shouln't we uuse chicken wire on the run?

Chicken wire isn't very strong at all and is easily penetrated by preditors. Not so much of a problem if you supervise your bun's run time I guess, but ours have run access 24/7. :)

Yeah, chicken wire is far too easy to break and even the rabbits can chew it up if given enough time. It may work for a temporary pen, but will probably require maintance so I'd recommend just getting a strong type of wire. It costs more but it's safer and lasts much longer:wave:

with most chicken wire the gaps are big enough for bunnies to fit their teetha round the wire so its easy to chew, someone gave me a run with chicken wire, and i thought 'well its alright for a freebie' within an hour my 9 week old domino had made a little hole lol! so i took the mesh off and re did it when stronger smaller holed stuff!

Back