• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Probiotics, Infacol, etc

clairen

Warren Scout
I've seen quite a few threads on here recommending the use of probiotics and Infacol. I'm considering whether to buy these for my rabbit first aid bag. However, as a registered nurse (human) I am rather sceptical about using these and basically would like to know some more.

Most people working in Paediatrics dismiss Infacol and don't advise giving it to infants. Does scientific evidence exist to indicate it's effective in rabbits? Do vets recommend it and what dose to you give?

With probiotics, what type do you give, what dose, and is it given daily? I suspect it would need to be administered regularly to be effective, is this correct?

Thanks for any input :)

Little naive myself here but I was advised to put my bun on probiotic as he's had lots of antibiotics recently. I don't think I would have given him it otherwise but I may be wrong!! He's having half a teaspoon of probiotic yoghurt at the moment as he's on oral Baytrill after heaps of injections!!!

Never used the Infacol myself so can't comment on that but lots of people swear by it on here! (I did give it to my children when they were babies and they just threw up!! Gripe water made them burp which was better but not sure if that's OK for buns!)

I use infacol when the buns have an attack of wind. 2ml first does, then 1ml hourly after that. I use it in conjunction with tummy rubs, and getting the buns to move around, so I couldn't say if it's the infacol that's working or the combination of things.
I don't use probiotic regularly. I will use if any of them have irregular poo, or if they're on antibiotics.

I use both.

I give mine probiotics (Avipro plus) everyday, I just think they support the rabbits digestive systems. They're particularly useful when a rabbit has antibiotics, to help with good gut flora.

I use Infacol with my lot and most of the time, it's enough to solve the problem of bloat. Although, generally if my lot haven't eaten withine 2 hours of it being given, I take them to a vet.

When my Charly had GI statis week before last my vet gave him probiotics. I then read on this website to try and use infacol which i immediately went and bought. My vet had never heard about giving this to rabbits before but i thankfully listened to the guys on this forum. It worked wonders. I will always keep a bottle handy. My vet also suggested giving him vegetable cooking oil (couple of drops three times a day) to get things moving. Nobody seemed to have heard of this i tried it and 36hrs he did his first poo for a week. Don't know if it was the oil that worked or just nature though. I will keep an open mind!

I use infacol on Pringle, hes needed it a couple of times now and i think it really helps break the gases up and helps him poo, i would recomend it :thumb:xx

Could i just ask a quick question here to?

I give infacol to my nethie she is terrible for wind.

I have never given Pobiotic though.
Do you just give them a little bit of probiotic yoghurt?
Does it have to be natural or is flavoured ok?
Also giving this won't give my buns a tummy upset will it, if they have never had it before?

Thank you

I am giving Charlie probiotic yoghurt at the moment. (also putting his Baytrill in it so he takes his medicine with no problem!!) He loves it. Vet said to give only natural yoghurt though, not flavoured. He has half a teaspoon.

I'm going to continue whilst he is on the anti b's and a little after but I think if he's OK after I won't give him it every day as I never did before and never had a problem. I'm giving it now as a 'just in case' thing.

I use both. Probiotics when rabbits are under any stress, ie on medication, having stasis problems, recovering from an op. Avipro is good as it also contains soluble fiber.

I used Infacol in Misty when she was ill, first time but I was desperate. I believe it helped a little but she was on so many other meds its hard to say. I used 0.5mls twice daily and its very safe to use with other medication.

Back