• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does anyone know anything about Vitamin E/Selenium Deficiency?

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
I was researching into 0ther possible causes of Floppy Rabbit Syndrome besides potassium (by the way are banana's an acceptable form of potassium rich food? As Gypsy wont eat tomato, fresh or juice :roll: ) and I discovered a case study on Vitamin E deficiency in rabbits which presents with the same symptoms as potassium deficiency:

"Vitamin E was necesary for the adsorbtion of Selenium. Selenium is a mineral that functions as part of a enzyme that is involved in the detoxification of peroxides that form in the tissue during the metabolic processes. Vitamin E functions by acting as cellular antioxidant therefor preventing tissue breakdown due to peroxide damage, which results in nutritional muscular dystrophy "

Hope Im not loosing you :oops: -Basically a rabbit relies on vitamin E to eradicate muscle damaging peroxides from the muscle when they are formed during the breakdown of food.

Apparently Vitamin E tablets can be brought from the pharmacy, crushed and fed with yoghurt (not water as this impaires there effect) to aid a 'miraculous' recovery. Rabbits with this deficiency also need vitamin E supplemented to their food to prevent FRS relapses.

Has anyone ever had a rabbit with Vitamin E deficiency? Should I treat Gypsy for this or Potassium deficiency first?

If I treat both consecutivley I wont know which is causing the problem.

HELP PLEASE!

Presumably there are tests for both of these deficiencies. Even if a blood test was done and then the 'cures' administered at least that way it diagnoses the issue correctly so you know what to do next time.

I'd have thought the best source for potassium/vit E was a shot of the pure stuff from the vet.

I'm not convinced by FBS, it seems like quite a bit of hearsay and remedies and very little vet proof to back it up. Either the 'cure' works and the bunny makes a miraculous recovery or they don't and it's written off as not being treated quick enough :?

Tam

I have potassium supplement on order.....but I didnt know about the Vitamin E until tonight. You can buy cattle supplements online but not sure if they are rabbit safe or not :?

I dont think FRS relates to a specific illness....rather a specific symptom (and its bloody distressing to see :cry: ) and apparently with Vit E deficiency death is by dehydration/starvation OR the lung muscles becoming damaged and filling with fluid-Pneumonia OR sudden death due to affection of the myocardium causing heart failure :(

Sorry, I'm kinda commenting from the middle of the story. Is there an earlier post with the background/symptoms?

There are studies linking vit E deficiency/low potassium levels to muscular dystrophy but most cases I've seen linked to FBS imply rapid onset of symptoms and death where as the studies seem to imply gradual effects over weeks.

A blood test could definitely show sodium/potassium levels. I would think that's the best way forward.

I was advised to give the vitamin e and the banana's and tomatoes at the same time on top of the meds that my bun was on for rear paralysis. I am conviced that it was this combination that worked on him as he was back hopping around within 48 hours, in fact, he started to gain some movement within a few hours of giving him the banana, tomotoes and vitamin e which is far quicker result than the vet treatment that he was on would of done ;) I was told that it wouldn't harm him, the vit e that is. I still give him banana every fortnight (he is not keen on tomatoes) and a vit e droplet once a month:D

This advice was given to me by an ex breeder although it is my decision to give him the vit e every month. Knowledgable breeders really are a hive of information and probably know far more than most vets, shame the less experienced breeder doesn't do their research really and stop breeding just for monetary gain and fun:cry:

Sorry, I'm kinda commenting from the middle of the story. Is there an earlier post with the background/symptoms?
Well Gypsy as we have called her arrived in a box sprawled on her side like a dead bunny, the poor girl is totally lucid but has no control of her limbs.

She knows they are there and trys to right herself but she is completely lacking in strenght.

She cant even lift her head but she is so hungry and thirsty.....she drinks the syringe feed vigorously. I also have to clean her bottom for her .

Rob agrees with me to treat for EC and FRS so she is on 28 days of Panacur, if she improves will extend it to 6 weeks. I am feeding tomato juice on top of her other food but also have potassium liquid extract on order.

I am giving her Metacam just in case she is in pain.

If these fail then she will need blood tests and here the cost really starts to esculate.....the diseases this tests for are rare and hard to treat. The vets have never seen them in cats or dogs let alone rabbits. I am taking her to see Anita when she gets back from her holiday....hopefully Gypsy will feel better by then so they can see her in her 'recovered' state.

If the paralised periods continue regularly and we cannot figure them out then we will need to evaluate her quality of life. While she is limp she has none whatsoever. So it will depend on frequency and recovery period.

The chances are she will become another permenant resident here.

Plus her recovery.....with nothing but syringe feeds here.....couldnt get much tomato juice down her at all:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=98426

I was advised to give the vitamin e and the banana's and tomatoes at the same time on top of the meds that my bun was on for rear paralysis. I am conviced that it was this combination that worked on him as he was back hopping around within 48 hours, in fact, he started to gain some movement within a few hours of giving him the banana, tomotoes and vitamin e which is far quicker result than the vet treatment that he was on would of done ;) I was told that it wouldn't harm him, the vit e that is. I still give him banana every fortnight (he is not keen on tomatoes) and a vit e droplet once a month:D

This advice was given to me by an ex breeder although it is my decision to give him the vit e every month. Knowledgable breeders really are a hive of information and probably know far more than most vets, shame the less experienced breeder doesn't do their research really and stop breeding just for monetary gain and fun:cry:

She is fine again now...not even shaky and that was without any supplement from me other than a syringe feed.

I dont want to feed both together as I can not then identify which is the actual cause of the deficiency....if blood tests cannot pick up on this. I would have if she was still ill obviously but now I need to find a preventative rather than a remedy especially if there is to be any chance she can ever be rehomed.

The case study I have quoted from above was written by a breeder.

Only tip I can give is to go easy on the metacam. Only really give it if the bunny is in pain (not eating is a sign of pain) Before we Lost Suki The vet had to stop giving her Metacam as she had suffered renal damage from it. in the end I had to take her to the vets every day for a dif type of pain killer (Opioid). But by the time we found out it was already too late :(

I know its a reflex to think that a bun might be in pain but if you can be carefull with metacam and use it as little as possible.

She only had one dose of Metacam while she was paralised, just incase as her paralysis would mask any normal signs of pain. She was only paralysed for one day. I know the not eating isnt down to pain....its simply because she cant actually move to the bowl or find the strenght to chew :(

Metacam is relativley safe if fed over a limited period of time but in the same way painkillers can harm people who are addicted to them they are of course detrimental to rabbits over an extended period of time.

The main problem with Metacam is feeding to young rabbits and those with broken limbs as it impairs and slows bone repair and growth..... otherwise I believe it is safe for the majority of rabbits when used sensibly.

Also.....if Vit. E deficiency affects the heart muscle can it leave lasting damage, if so should I consider not speying Gypsy (I would like to bond her into my trio if we can get her condition under control.)?

has your vet ruled out any spinal injury or sprains that could of happened prior to her coming to you that have maybe not healed properly or any bone deformaties?

Yep. Not a thing. Like I say she is fine now....wouldnt know there had ever been anything wrong with her :?

Plus its unlikely a spinal injury or sprain would be periodical.

Back