• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bloat in general and Kovu? U/D bloat again GRRRRRR

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
OK, when I picked up Kovu last night, I talked to the vet.

They couldn't find the mass of soft tissue that the emergency vets found, he said that's not to say it wasn't there though. He said Xrays don't often give a true reflection of what is going on, he said they could try scanning him, but again because they're hard to detect. He said the only way to know for sure was to cut him open and they wouldn't do that unless it was absoulty that last resort.

I said I'd been reading an article about bloat ( http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html ) and it said that many buns have a reoccurrence soon after. He was like that is correct, which is why he's got to go back on Saturday. Anyway I asked why this could be and he said, it's normally a symptom for some other underlying problem, I asked what like and he said tumours (now I'd been told this by a completely different vet practise when Marley was ill with bloat).

I said that the article said that hairballs being a myth(I was thinking about Delilah's death and wondering that, because Kovu's having a really bad moult, could it be that?) he said he whole heartedly agreed with that, he said to me to think about how many rabbits there are around in moult and that there was only mine in with bloat.

He said he couldn't guarantee that Kovu will remain well, but they've tried to find the reason for his bloat and find the original mass, but can't. He said it could of been an inflammation of the wall, but it had reduced in size.

He said also bloat could of been cause by him wolfing his food, he said rabbits gas is different to ours and it's very frothy and that's why it's dangerous.

To be honest Kovu is a pig, he lives with four other buns and three are bigger than him. All their food is weighed out and he's fat why'll the others are quite slim, so I guess he's getting through their share. He's always the first in the bowl too and scoffing the veg, he's very greedy, maybe he feels he has to race them to eat the food?

He didn't mention veggie's causing bloat, in fact he was quite insistent that it's normally a sign of other things.

Now a lot of this kind of rings true to me, in the months up-to Marley's Death, I think there was 3/4/5 times (not sure if the actual number without checking my old posts) where he went into statis, twice he had to go to vets for metacam and metoclop (sp?), the other time he had some kittymalt/infacol which brought him round.

I spoke to someone last night, who did put my mind at rest a bit, she said they're covering their own backs, which makes sense. I guess if Kovu died now and it was from a tumour and I went mad, saying how come the emergency vet saw it and you didn't, they can say "yep we told you that could happen"

and Carys pointed out this morning, re hair, that many people would just find their bunny dead and unless you knew that turning their nose up at food was a major thing, you would probably think bun was ok. So many case may not even get reported to the vets as bunny wouldn't get pm.

When I brought Kovu home last night, he still didn't seem right, he was lying down in his litter tray for a few minutes, like he was shattered (I can't stress enough this isn't normal for him). He was up and about soon afterwards, but this could of been to all the gut starters he has had.

This morning he was fine and straight in the ready grass, I'm going to put a drop of liquid paraffin on his pellets when I get in.

What are our thoughts on this?

Thanks

Last edited:
OK, when I picked up Kovu last night, I talked to the vet.

They couldn't find the mass of soft tissue that the emergency vets found, he said that's not to say it wasn't there though. He said Xrays don't often give a true reflection of what is going on, he said they could try scanning him, but again because they're hard to detect. He said the only way to know for sure was to cut him open and they wouldn't do that unless it was absoulty that last resort.

I said I'd been reading an article about bloat ( http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html ) and it said that many buns have a reoccurrence soon after. He was like that is correct, which is why he's got to go back on Saturday. Anyway I asked why this could be and he said, it's normally a symptom for some other underlying problem, I asked why like and he said like tumours (now I'd been told this by a completely different vet practise when Marley was ill with bloat).

I said that the article said that hairballs being a myth(I was thinking about Delilah's death and wondering that, because Kovu's having a really bad moult, could it be that?) he said he whole heartedly agreed with that, he said to me to think about how many rabbits there are around and that there was only mine in with bloat.

He said he couldn't guarantee that Kovu will remain well, but they've tried to find the reason for his bloat and find the original mass, but can't. He said it could of been an inflammation of the wall, but it had reduced in size.

He said also bloat could of been cause by him wolfing his food, he said rabbits gas is different to ours and it's very frothy and that's why it's dangerous.

To be honest Kovu is a pig, he lives with four other buns and three are bigger than him. All their food is weighed out and he's fat why'll the others are quite slim, so I guess he's getting through their share. He's always the first in the bowl too and scoffing the veg, he's very greedy, maybe he feels he has to race them to eat the food?

He didn't mention veggie's causing bloat, in fact he was quite insistent that it's normally a sign of other things.

How a lot of this kind of rings true to me, in the months up-to Marley's Death, I think there was 3/4/5 times (not sure if the actual number without checking my old posts) where he went into statis, twice he had to go to vets for metacam and metoclop (sp?), the other time he had some kittymalt/infacol which brought him round.

I spoke to someone last night, who did put my mind at rest a bit, she said they're covering their own backs, which makes sense. I guess if Kovu died now and it was from a tumour and I went mad, saying how come the emergency vet saw it and you didn't, they can say "yep we told you that could happen"

and Carys pointed out this morning, re hair, that many people would just find their bunny dead and unless you knew that turning their nose up at food was a major thing, you would probably think bun was ok. So many case may not even get reported to the vets as bunny wouldn't get pm.

When I brought Kovu home last night, he still didn't seem right, he was lying down in his litter tray for a few minutes, like he was shattered (I can't stress enough this isn't normal for him). He was up and about soon afterwards, but this could of been to all the gut starters he has had.

This morning he was fine and straight in the ready grass, I'm going to put a drop of liquid paraffin on his pellets when I get in.

What are our thoughts on this?

Thanks

I just want to say that I hope Kovu is ok and it isn't something too serious :( I'm afraid I don't know about bloat etc but paraffin is poisonous to humans - is the same not true for buns?

I just want to say that I hope Kovu is ok and it isn't something too serious :( I'm afraid I don't know about bloat etc but paraffin is poisonous to humans - is the same not true for buns?

Thank you

liquid paraffin is a laxative (one from chemist) and can be used to break down hair and push out poo's in buns. You wouldn't give a lot though.

Thank you

liquid paraffin is a laxative (one from chemist) and can be used to break down hair and push out poo's in buns. You wouldn't give a lot though.

Oh ok - I was thinking more along the lines of the stuff used for fire breathing/staffs/poi etc! :)

Wow, I don't have anything much to advise, just to watch him.. if he doesn't seem normal (as you know him best), cart him back to the vet. As we all know, they hide their illness and pain so well, that when we actually notice something wrong, we need to take that warning immediately..

I hope poor Kovu will be okay!!

Oh ok - I was thinking more along the lines of the stuff used for fire breathing/staffs/poi etc! :)

No cricky, don't think you should give the your bun that, although it may be the same thing, but I don't think so. When I went to the chemist before, they wouldn't sell it me, they said it's used by people with eating disorders :? , I was like when that aint me, but they still refused. I had to send someone else to get it :lol:

Wow, I don't have anything much to advise, just to watch him.. if he doesn't seem normal (as you know him best), cart him back to the vet. As we all know, they hide their illness and pain so well, that when we actually notice something wrong, we need to take that warning immediately..

I hope poor Kovu will be okay!!

Thank you, well I will keep a close eye on him, I'll check his poo's and tum etc. I have emergency meds in, but I will rush him straight to vets if there are any problems at all. :D

I forgot to say too, my frioend said that damp hay can be another reason for bloat, we've had so much bad rain lately so maybe some has got wet.

Although his hutch etc does always seem dry and we've extrat roofing on hutches, but there is a normal water bottle on his hutch! I've John Hopewell one's on the others plus his, but Scooby wont drink from the Hopewell one's, so wondering if the bottle is leaking a bit, as the normal one's do. I'll change the bottle for another tonight. God I really hope it's something stupid like that :(

Have you thought about cutting out his redigrass Tree & seeing if this helps?
The only reason i`m asking is i too feed it regularily & have never had any problems until Mulberry came along. She kept having regular bouts of stasis & neither me nor my vet could work out what was causing it.
I decided to try cutting out the redigrass & touchwood she hasn`t had a problem since.:D

Just an idea,
Su.x

My vet once mentioned that some veg can cause gas - like too much broccolli etc? But he did say that if bun is used to eating that, it shouldn't be a problem. that said, I did reduce broccolli

I can sympathise, my mum had to take Inky to the vets this morning with GI Stasis(hopefully it's sorted now).

I give my two papaya tablets from Oxbow, it helps stop the fur building up in their tummies (there's a scientific reason why but I can't remember it).

Rabbits have a really complicated digestive system and I think it can be really difficult to find out the reason why bloat keeps happening. I know that I feed mine a good diet and they plenty of exercise but we still get GI Stasis.

You just have to be really vigilent and invest in a bottle of Infacol.

Thank's Angie and Su, would you think it would make a difference that he's always been on those things, (the readi grass and the gasy veg) he's three now and I've not had a problem before? I mean, it could well be those so that is why I'm asking? :(

I know in the wild you don't see wild buns sitting around field with bloat, so I've always been kind of put off bythe idea of feeding what they would naturally eat.

Also I guess it doesn't explain the soft tissue mass that was on the first x ray, but not on the second one, Oh I'm so confused :(

I can sympathise, my mum had to take Inky to the vets this morning with GI Stasis(hopefully it's sorted now).

I give my two papaya tablets from Oxbow, it helps stop the fur building up in their tummies (there's a scientific reason why but I can't remember it).

Rabbits have a really complicated digestive system and I think it can be really difficult to find out the reason why bloat keeps happening. I know that I feed mine a good diet and they plenty of exercise but we still get GI Stasis.

You just have to be really vigilent and invest in a bottle of Infacol.

Hiya thanks sweetie, I have infacol in, what worries me is that the article linked on page one, says there is no such thing as a build up of hair, also confirmed by the bun savvy vet, I've been seeing for Kovu. So I am wondering whether there is truth, that perhaps it is a sympton of something else :(

Could the mass they felt have been soft poos he couldn`t pass or food stuck on it`s way through as his gut mobility was reduced?
All my other`s have redigrass ( including Tia, who does have a slightyly sensitive stomach) & have no problems but cutting it out does seem to have worked for MUlberry.

Su.x

Could the mass they felt have been soft poos he couldn`t pass or food stuck on it`s way through as his gut mobility was reduced?
All my other`s have redigrass ( including Tia, who does have a slightyly sensitive stomach) & have no problems but cutting it out does seem to have worked for MUlberry.

Su.x

No :( Su, I know all this and I don't think so. If you read the post in rab chat, he had two x rays one on Sunday, there was a mass of soft tissue, which was found, the poo was a different matter in him (which he did have too), but the mass was soft tissue not faecal matter or a blockage, they didn't know if it was a tumour or inflammation of the wall, but it was tissue.

Monday's xray after he'd been transfered to a different vets, didn't show the tissue.

Interesting the comment about the damp hay... I was really worried about this as I had to get some hay from the bin I store it in on Monday and I was concerned that it might have got wet in the rain (but I couldn't tell because I was soaked too!). I asked the vet last night if that might have been a contributing factor in Frankie's bloat, but he never answered the question :?

oooops, sorry Tree:oops: Hadn`t read the other post!

Sorry, have no idea then. Hope you can get to the bottom of it.

Su.x

That's ok, I think I'm clutching at straws really, the vet had to point out on his notes last night, that there was a soft tissue lump found, but they couldn't find it, on their x ray and they said a scan wouldn't show it either. I think I'm bricking it as I think they're using it as a get out clause, if anything else goes wrong. I'm hoping I guess someone is going to say, yes this happens with the soft tissue in bloat, but I fear I am thinking the worse.

Here is other post, it is quite long winded though, he was in the vets for two nights and nearly died :( http://194.79.31.142/showthread.php?t=94861

It's a really good vet as well, rabbit savvy, so I really don't know what the answer is, he's got to go back Saturday.

Interesting the comment about the damp hay... I was really worried about this as I had to get some hay from the bin I store it in on Monday and I was concerned that it might have got wet in the rain (but I couldn't tell because I was soaked too!). I asked the vet last night if that might have been a contributing factor in Frankie's bloat, but he never answered the question :?

I have heard that it can be, I think bloat is a very funny subject where no body really knows, there is a lot of theorys, but nothing concrete. Did you have an x ray too, did it show anything?

Thanks for your help guys, I've got to go now and have my ears syringed :oops: , but I'll catch up with this tomorrow, any ideas are great. Thanks

Back