• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worming

Lucy

Warren Veteran
Another topic for discussion which seems to come up regularly here is worming. I must have missed the other discussions, sorry. I was wondering what people in other rescues routinely do when rabbits come in? Do you routinely worm or not? If so what are your preferred wormers?

I find it very interesting to see how other rescues work so indulge me if you have the time :D

sorry Lucy, I am not a rescue but would like to ask another question on top of yours if that is OK:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am confused over this worming mallarky, my books and vet dont see the point in worming unless you have a severe problem with wormies and the bun is loosing weight.:? All rabbits carry these pin worms so my question is, why do rabbits have pin worms, what is it they actually do and how do they get them in the first place?

They probably get them from eating food contaminated with fecal matter from an infected bunny, either as a kit from their mum or older from wild rabbits on hay/grass. Worm cysts tend to be quite stable for long periods outside.

Generally they sit in the gut and absorb some of the nutrients the rabbit is digesting so a high worm load means the rabbit loses a lot of the goodness from their food direct to the worms leaving little for them so they get lethargic and weak. A healthy bun can probably cope with a low worm load but a stressed or unhealthy bun could lead to a lowered immune response, allowing the worms to get out of control making them feel even more unwell.

That is why I worm all new arrivals (that and a previous possible case of Ec).

I should imagine rabbit pin worms are similar to human pin/thread worms, they can cause mild itching around the anus but apart from that you wouldn't know they are there unless you check your poo regularily. Kids tend to get them a lot - poorer hygiene and lowered immune response - "fecal-oral route" - mmm :p always stuck in my head from my parasitology courses.

Caz

sorry Lucy, I am not a rescue but would like to ask another question on top of yours if that is OK:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am confused over this worming mallarky, my books and vet dont see the point in worming unless you have a severe problem with wormies and the bun is loosing weight.:? All rabbits carry these pin worms so my question is, why do rabbits have pin worms, what is it they actually do and how do they get them in the first place?

Worming regularly is more aimed at preventing EC than worms. Because as much as 50% of all rabbits have EC they are wormed regularly to prevent them developing problems from it. I worm them on arrival then every 6 months after that (if they are unfortunate to stay that long). I normally use panacur puppy/kitten 10% liquid but was recently donated a load of panacur rabbit tubes by the manufacturer and found them much easer to use, however once they have run out it is much more cost effective for me to use the liquid again.

Thanks Caz and Cheryl, now this makes total sense to me now:D :D :D I take it that if you have used the panacur 28-30 day liquid for EC that they have also been de-wormed at the same time:D six months intervals seems alot better than the 3 month one using the panacur paste and would work out more cost effective as being as you get more in the bottle compared to the tube, does the tube have a use by date once opened on it does anyone know?

Hi

We worm every rabbit when they arrive here and the permenant bunnies are wormed 6 monthly due to high exposure. I have discussed this in depth with my vet and we agree that this with a strict hygiene system is the best way to control EC which is spread through urine and to some extent faeces and also from infected mothers to kits through the placenta.

We also agree that in pet rabbits where no new rabbits are introduced annually is totally adequate unless there is a period of high risk i.e bunny escapes or is boarded. TBH the recommendation on the Panacur packet to worm every 3 months is total hype, fenbedazoline is a toxic substance and this level of exposure is unnecessary and most likely unhealthy.

I worm my lot every six months, but I don't use Panacur, I use Ivomec which treats for mites as well. They get 0.2ml as the first dose then again 10 days later. I buy it from www.wormers.co.uk, it comes in big bottles so I buy a bottle, split it into vials and sell it to other breeders, otherwise it would go out of date before I used it all! Make a sensible option for rescues I'd have thought?

I worm my lot every six months, but I don't use Panacur, I use Ivomec which treats for mites as well. They get 0.2ml as the first dose then again 10 days later. I buy it from www.wormers.co.uk, it comes in big bottles so I buy a bottle, split it into vials and sell it to other breeders, otherwise it would go out of date before I used it all! Make a sensible option for rescues I'd have thought?

is that just fur mites or does it cure ear mites too?

Very interesting. From what I can see then most people do it on arrival of a new rescue bun then every 6 months thereafter.

Do people find there is a good way to give the panacur that is easy and not stressful to the rabbits if giving orally?

Has anyone tried the Xeno 450 spot on treatment for worms and fleas?

Very interesting. From what I can see then most people do it on arrival of a new rescue bun then every 6 months thereafter.

Do people find there is a good way to give the panacur that is easy and not stressful to the rabbits if giving orally?

Has anyone tried the Xeno 450 spot on treatment for worms and fleas?

Am I the only person to feel some concern about all the chemicals we are being advised to use on our Rabbits............:?

Janex

Oh yes, i do agree jane. I use as little as possible. I haven't used the spot on, just wondered if anyone had any experience with it. I have personally never seen a rabbit with fleas.

Back