• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2011 Foraging

Georgeypudding

The blue flower in first pic are Anemone blanda. Don't know if they're safe but I would guess not as they grow from corms.

Second one - no idea, sorry

Third one - the middle plant, with thin leaves in rosettes around the central stem, is goosegrass/cleavers/stickyweed - fine for buns. Looks like you might have some chickweed on the left there, this is also fine for buns, but I'd need to see a better pic to ID it. On the bottom right corner with spade shaped leaves you have arums I think - poisonous to buns and humans

groundsel is in the same family as ragwort :shock: i've seen it on "safe" lists but never in a million years would i delibarately feed it
vetch however is fine in fact it's a good source of fibre :D but totally agree about the pods

A close relationship isn't necessarily indicative of shared features though - after all tomato fruits are edible, but the leaves are poisonous - and that's withint the exact same species. I don't feed groundsel any more either though, no point taking unnecessary risks :)

I'm in total agreement with cluttery drawer both in identification & philosophy. There's so much out there that there's no need to take the smallest risk.

Also it's a good time of year to identify blackthorn/sloe bushes. They have small snow white blossom close to the twigs BEFORE any leaves come out. They show up nicely against the hawthorn in a hedge, because the hawthorn has young lime green leaves BEFORE the blossom comes out. A quick drive/walk in the country will easily show you whether you've got any near you.

Anyone know what's this is? It's been growing in the greenhouse all winter, looks a bit dandelion ish but isn't.

IMG_2434b.jpg

Anyone know what's this is? It's been growing in the greenhouse all winter, looks a bit dandelion ish but isn't.

IMG_2434b.jpg

I think that's a sowthistle which is a bunny delicacy.:)
I always like a second opinion when I identify from a photo because I'm used to identifying live plants, & can look at the different parts of a plant in more detail.

Sowthistles kept my bun alive throughout all the months when his caecum wasn't filling, without giving severe dysbiosis. :)

Last edited:
I've discovered I now have a nice patch of white dead nettle and pink so will gradually introduce that to their menu.

Got a fab book by Collins herbs and medicinal plants guide for a couple of quid from the Herb Centre yesterday.

I have also got greater plantain growing out the front garden. Thumps was that what you were looking for for Thumper? Its only in the early stages at the mo but if you need any I could send some to you:wave:

Just went out and got some ribwort plaintain for drying and saw an amazing badger set on the side of a country road:shock: Must of taken them hours to build.

Just went out and got some ribwort plaintain for drying and saw an amazing badger set on the side of a country road:shock: Must of taken them hours to build.

Ooo it probably took them decades if not a century to build if it was that extensive. Are you going to try badger watching?

Thank you for the offer of greater plantains, you're really kind.:love::love: My problem last year was that Thumper suddenly changed his diet just as we got alot of rain, drop in temp. & mildew devastated the whole area. I just couldn't find enough healthy plantains to dry to get us through winter.
Thumper honestly owes RU his life, cos so many people sent us packages of home dried, just enough to get us through winter. :love::love:
I'm starting early this year! ;)

I love this aspect of foraging. :love: I wouldn't go out anything like so much & have such an awareness of other wild life if I didn't forage. I often get to see the roe deer, & where they lie up & soon I'll be making detours round the fawns. There's birds nesting & singing, & soon there'll be butterflies. THAT'S the world I belong to.

I struggle to find plantain. I have noticed a bit in the front lawn but the leaves are wider so I'm not sure it is plantain.

thankyou for ID'ing my plants, could you describe the plant you think is chickweed so I can get a better picture please?

I seem to of had an explosion of that frilly plant so could really do with finding out what it is :?

Can I dry Dead Nettles, Sticky weed and Chickweed in the oven? :wave:

thankyou for ID'ing my plants, could you describe the plant you think is chickweed so I can get a better picture please?

I seem to of had an explosion of that frilly plant so could really do with finding out what it is :?

Can I dry Dead Nettles, Sticky weed and Chickweed in the oven? :wave:

It's got little white star shaped flowers about 5mm across - here's a decent-ish picture:

http://middlepath.com.au/plant/img/chickweed_stellaria-media_02.jpg

it may vary in appearance cos there are a few different types.

I struggle to find plantain. I have noticed a bit in the front lawn but the leaves are wider so I'm not sure it is plantain.

There are 3 sorts of common plantain. Greater plantain, ribwort plantain & hoary plantain - all are bunny safe. If ribwort is mown frequently it gets quite broad leaved & grows flatter so it looks 1/2 way between ribwort & greater plantain. ;)
I can't think of anything you might confuse them with either.:) The tough leaf veins are very typical.

Thank you tjbole, & welcome to the foragers.
I find that Thumper will eat the prickly ones when they're young when the prickles are soft.

Thanks for the Id. I might leave it to grow for a bit then and just pick by the leaf. It's the only greenery in there at the moment :lol:

I've had an idea about foraging.

The problem isn't only whether plants are safe, but whether a beginner could confuse them with plants that aren't safe. eg sowthistle vs ragweed.

There can also be quite alot of variation in leaf shape in the same species according to the stage of growth of the plant & growing conditions/soil type which varies across the country.

I consider some plants to be ultra safe because they can't be confused with anything which is dangerous or not known to be bunny safe. eg the plantains, mayweed/chamomile, dandelion,cleavers,nettle,white dead nettle & yarrow.

What do people think about a list of plants & reference photos - easy to identify = for the beginner.

Then a list of more difficult plants, & what they can be confused with, especially those which are dangerous, showing photos side by side.

Finally if we find an atypical dangerous plant like clutterydrawer's deadly nightshade, we all need to be aware of it.

I'm not a botanist. I only know the chalk downland plants well, what I find easier may prove difficult to others, or I may not know plants which grow in other parts of the country, so I need help from RU. I'd need help to draw up lists & help to get good photos.

that would be great, I think a list comparing safe and dangerous would be great, also a list of good plants with clear pictures would be good :D

You mentioned white dead nettle, is the kind with pink flowers still okay?

I've had an idea about foraging.

The problem isn't only whether plants are safe, but whether a beginner could confuse them with plants that aren't safe. eg sowthistle vs ragweed.

There can also be quite alot of variation in leaf shape in the same species according to the stage of growth of the plant & growing conditions/soil type which varies across the country.

I consider some plants to be ultra safe because they can't be confused with anything which is dangerous or not known to be bunny safe. eg the plantains, mayweed/chamomile, dandelion,cleavers,nettle,white dead nettle & yarrow.

What do people think about a list of plants & reference photos - easy to identify = for the beginner.

Then a list of more difficult plants, & what they can be confused with, especially those which are dangerous, showing photos side by side.

Finally if we find an atypical dangerous plant like clutterydrawer's deadly nightshade, we all need to be aware of it.

I'm not a botanist. I only know the chalk downland plants well, what I find easier may prove difficult to others, or I may not know plants which grow in other parts of the country, so I need help from RU. I'd need help to draw up lists & help to get good photos.

That would be SO useful. I am a total beginner; I am following this thread, have researched bunny safe plants etc and have found a good book that I can use to identify what I see. At the moment I'm just trying to familiarise myself with different plants when I go for a walk, but a "side by side" view of safe/dangerous, photos of those that are safe for buns, would be a great help. May also help to encourage others to start foraging :)

Back