• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Forming a trio , need help !

CharlotteMc

Mama Doe
I am thinking of bonding harry with my already bonded pair Penny and Russell, But not sure how to do it :S Harry is calm and quite laidback and doesnt show any intrest in Penny and Russell, however Russell is quite bossy, active and lively and really interested in Harry. I know Bonding harry and Penny will be fine but its bonding Russell and harry that worries me. Any idea on how i cam bond them into a trio ?

Start off by ensuring that you are prepared in advance. Preparation is one of the most important thing when bonding, little preparation often leads to injuries and decreases the risk of a good bond occuring.

If your buns are indoor buns ensure that you have a room where none of them have been, if you havent got an area you will need to prepare this in advance by cleaning thoroughly. If you have washable floors clean them with a smelly rabbit friendly substance such as a 50:50 water :vinegar solution, it is pongy but gets rids of rabbits smells, anything that your rabbits will have contact with such as skirtingboards, legs of tables / chairs etc can be washed down as well. Soft furnishings are more of a problem, if they can be washed / hung out / dry cleaned etc do this otherwise leave sprinkle with bicard to try and deodorise them, then leave for a few weeks for the smells to decrease.

If your rabbits are outside rabbits you will need an indoor room where neither have been before, if one or more have been there clean as above. Ensure that the area is somewhere you can turn the heating down and that you can supervise them constantly from if necessary.

Ensure that you plan a long weekend where you or someone else can be with them if required for at least 48 hours ideally longer if necessary. Have somewhere you can sleep in easy reach of them. Ensure that you have no little errands you must run. Work out a plan so that someone can stay with them if required after the 48 hour period of they still need supervising. If you cannot do this leave it until you have the time to do the bonding.

Have something to use such as a pen which you can use to slowly increase the space you give the rabbits, ideally start off with an area about 4 x 2 foot, leave the space like this for at least 48 hours then SLOWLY increase the space. If there is any nipping, chasing or fighting do not increase the space until they have been settled for at least 48 hours. Any increase in space must be into totally neutral area.

Do not use your hands to separate them if you need to do so, have a broom handy. When rabbits fright they do it with closed eyes and then will just lock on to what ever you offer them ... however protected you are with a coat or with gloves it is highly likely that they will still reach your skin. A broom which is clean and not smelling of rabbits will save you a lot of agony.

Anything you use must be either new or neutralised, I usually start off with very little in the pen as often you get one who is trying to dominate a litter tray or food bowl. If you protect your floors I would avoid using a tray for the first 6 - 12 hours and then see how they are with it, if one dominates it remove it. Food can be sprinkled which gives everyone an opportunity to get it.

All rabbits should be neutered. Whilst babies will settle in quicker and are usually fairly easy to bond in with other rabbits, as they mature they may fall out with their new partner and nasty injuries occur whilst you are not in. This can occur overnight. With mature rabbits it does make bonding easier if they are neutered.

just to warn you our two when bonded wound up being supervised literally 24/7 for just about 2 weeks solid give or take a day.....

so definitely make sure you have as much spare time as possible! :)

Now to bond them:

Put all your rabbits at the same time into your pen with some hay and a small amount of sprinkled food. Neutral toys are fine. Observe carefully. Start using the broom for any behaviour where circling starts, pull one of the rabbits away and count to 10 very slowly and release them. You may have to do this a number of times until this settles, each time pulling them away, holding them for a slow count of 10 and then releasingthem. You should notice that the time span between fights should decrease in time if it is not you need to consider have you done adequate preparation ... if not redo this and then start again. Try not to be too stressed yourself as this does feed back to the rabbits and can delay a bonding.

If you really dont feel that you are progressing consider getting someone expereinced to bond them for you, however do consider that a small percentage of bondings do not work.

As time goes on stand / sit further away and allow them to get on with each other being constantly vigilant to what they are up to.

Hand feed them every now and again pellets or fresh food.

Don't split them, move them or expand their space until they are ready which will be at least 48 hours after they last chased or nipped.

Some rabbits will settle very easily, others don't. Bonding is like human relationships they all move forward at different rates, some evolve in a couple of hours others take much longer. For those whose rabbits bond at a slower rate and are more 'eventful' it is not helpful to compare themselves to other bondings which have been very uneventful. Preparation is for me the essential thing for a safe and successful bonding and for me it is essential that you are prepared for the worst and slowest scenario otherwise you will end up running out of time or unable to complete the bond.

I have only written this very quickly, if there is something you are not sure about ask, there may also be bits I have missed out which I will add as I remember antyhing I need to add.

Back