• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dog kennels - U/D Photos for Liz

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
:wave: The bunnies new "dog" run arrived a few weeks ago but now winter is getting near I want to make something to put on the front to stop the rain getting in as we have floored it out with ply.

I have some clear thick plastic and was somehow thinking of a screen we could fold back.

Does anyone have anything like this - piccies would be good.

I had the run made and it is similar to this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dog-Kennel-CHALET-450-/110571575386?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=

Last edited:
The kennel looks fabulous:D

I'd make 4 frames to cover with the plastic, and hinge them (in 2's) so they can fold back during the day, but completely cover the mesh at night or in foul weather

Oh yes we are trying to work something out for ours too so would be interested to see pics! And hear ideas.

:wave: Thank you. I'll post some photos when it is all done. We have 3 sections so I guess we could still do it in 4 sections for the front. We were thinking along these lines.

Need to get some nice pink flowers to make it pretty like the one one in photo too. :lol:

The kennel looks fabulous:D

I'd make 4 frames to cover with the plastic, and hinge them (in 2's) so they can fold back during the day, but completely cover the mesh at night or in foul weather

Sounds fab.. I dont have a kennel but would love to see how it all works.

To be honest I would just be lazy and get some perspex sheets or corrugated plastic sheets or similar and screw them into the wood at each corner covering about 3/4 of the windows. Then just remove them again in spring :?

I just have a clear tarpaulin across the front of mine - nothing fancy I'm afraid :oops: - but it does the job, lets in plenty of light & is easily removed when the weather is dry. :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLEAR-PVC-TAR...ALL-COVER-/120572477144?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3

A cheaper option is a clear shower curtain (about £1 from Ikea) but they're 6' x 6' and not quite long enough to weight down at the front of my run. They're not so see through either and rip very easily so it's a false economy.

We currnently have tarpauline but in winds like last night it blew up even though we had it weighted down.

:idea:Another thought - could you make your own "roller blind" with the thick clear plastic I have?? Maybe have somthing to hook it down at the bottom.

In the winter they will be in the shed bit (at the moment they are not as I am trying to bond and they are all in the run with a divider down.:roll:

i havent used it for my run/wendy house setup, but for my hutches i cut a square of perspex, added to swivel blocks of wood to teh side which hold it in place on the window bit of the hutch

We currnently have tarpauline but in winds like last night it blew up even though we had it weighted down.

That's a problem with mine too - I usually have half the contents of the garden along the front holding it down. :lol::lol:

I have a toughened clear shower curtain, I use lace curtain wire to 'drawer ' it closed at nght and in rain I have cup hooks which are at either end and as the curtain has holes down side it works well ....perfect and only £5 off ebay :D

:lol: I had a couple of bricks, a piece of wood and 2 big tins of wood preserve :roll: Still flung them all off.

:lol::lol::lol:

I have a couple of garden hoses (on reels), a cast iron parasol base and a huge tin of fence paint. The parasol base is the only thing that stops it from taking off. :roll:

hi, we have made some frame work with wood and polycarbonate sheeting and we can put them on and off when they are on we just have some butterfly catches which we turn and they stay in place,hope that helps

Hope you don;t mind me asking, but what size have you got and does it have a door on the front into the run? Are you pleased with the quality of it?

Sorry for the interrogation :oops:

I put a tarpaulin over the front of mine in this rain but it isn't see through. Now we have the aviary extension on the front. So I've tied the tarp to the roof of that, hopefully that will allow the back of the kennel to stay much drier, and once the buns are bonded they'll have access to the whole space (that's the plan). So leaving the aviary more open to the elements shouldn't be such a big problem (third bun will have Gasket and Taps hutch to shelter in for now. I do have another tarp that can cover one side of the aviary if needed but that will reduce the light even more and the kennel, which is currently the only bit sprocket and widget have access to, is already more dingy now that we have the aviary on the front. But then they seem to spend a lot of time in the sheltered part of the kennel so they're probably not bothered by that.

Hope you don;t mind me asking, but what size have you got and does it have a door on the front into the run? Are you pleased with the quality of it?

Sorry for the interrogation :oops:

Hi Liz

I had mine made by a local shed making firm as it worked out cheaper, they also did the measurements to what I wanted where the guy off internet would not. They also did the layout where I wanted (The door is not as "pretty" but it is OK). I also put flyscreen on the outside of the mesh as I got my own mesh cut to size and secured it strongly.

Mine is:

Shed area 6ft deep by 4 ft wide.
Run area 6ft deep b 8 ft long

Overall size is basically6 ft x 12 ft
The walk in height is 5ft 6 in and the top of apex is 6 ft 6 in.

I don't have a door on the front into the run. You walk into the shed bit and then the door opens into the run. I did debate whether to have a door or another window on the other end but decided against it thinking I could aways add one in the future if I wanted.

We have a light in both the shed and the run and also tubular heaters in the shed part ready for the cold nights.

I'll try to post some photos for you later. I am pleased with it and it is so much easier to look after them when it is raining etc. I also get to sit in there with them easily which is nice.

Last edited:
Hi Liz

I had mine made by a local shed making firm as it worked out cheaper, they also did the measurements to what I wanted where the guy off internet would not. They also did the layout where I wanted (The door is not as "pretty" but it is OK). I also put flyscreen on the outside of the mesh as I got my own mesh cut to size and secured it strongly.

Mine is:

Shed area 6ft deep by 4 ft wide.
Run area 6ft deep b 8 ft long

Overall size is basically6 ft x 12 ft
The walk in height is 5ft 6 in and the top of apex is 6 ft 6 in.

I don't have a door on the front into the run. You walk into the shed bit and then the door opens into the run. I did debate whether to have a door or another window on the other end but decided against it thinking I could aways add one in the future if I wanted.

We have a light in both the shed and the run and also tubular heaters in the shed part ready for the cold nights.

I'll try to post some photos for you later. I am pleased with it and it is so much easier to look after them when it is raining etc. I also get to sit in there with them easily which is nice.

Thank you would love to see piccies :wave: we desperately need to replace our playhouse and attached run, it is letting in so much rain :(

Back