• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thistles - Cow/Milk/others

Dustyrabbit

Warren Veteran
When I got my bale of hay this morning I got talking about rabbits to the old chap who does the "carry to car" service, who advised me that rabbits love Milk Thistle and that he knew where one was growing, he picked it for me and another lady loading her car remarked "Oh Milk Thistle, my rabbits love that." So 2 people thought it was Milk Thistle but as I am a cautios :)lol:) rabbit owner I sought to confirm this before feeding it! My research has shown me that what I have (by now rather wilted!) is actually a Sow Thistle (ahah!) but is sometimes called Milk Thistle because of its milky "sap" although a Milk Thistle is actually another plant. Now, I understand from my searches that rabbits can eat Sow Thistle (thanks to a Thumps thread!) but my question is...... is there any thistle they can't eat just incase there are identification problems? I have fed a half a leaf each which they obviously enjoyed :D

So I guess there are no Thistle experts out there! :lol:

I think I need a good hedgerow identification book (I have a "Food for Free" book but it doesn't have a pic for every plant and of course its aimed at food for humans.

Goes away to look at Wild Diet threads.........

Thanks Thumps. It was that thread that helped me identify my thistle! Do you feed any other thistles or just Sow Thistle (I have read it is sometimes called Hares Thistle as it is so popular with wild rabbits and hares.)

I have some thistles in my garden, I think they're milk thistles :)
I haven't fed any though, bit of a stupid question, but should I remove the flowery bit and the spikes first? :oops::lol:

Thanks Thumps. It was that thread that helped me identify my thistle! Do you feed any other thistles or just Sow Thistle (I have read it is sometimes called Hares Thistle as it is so popular with wild rabbits and hares.)

I only feed sowthistles. I don't think that purple flowering thistles are poisonous as such, mainly prickly, so i don't give them.

I just been out gathering their wild diet (thanks to thumps and PL) :D
Thumps if I can ever send you any sow thistle please let me know how to prepare it for posting and I'll gladly send you some.
Saw some today quite large and thick stems.

Everyone is incredibly kind to us. I've been trying to grow them in the garden.:oops: I don't think they dry well, & of course Thumps gets all his fluid from them too. I keep finding just enough to get by & he's started to eat carrot tops from the allotment now. So we're managing, thanks.

I'm delighted by how many folk enjoy collecting wild plants for their buns. :D:D

I did wonder about the freshness and wilting of the plant. I even have my OH now looking for Willow tree :D, he went golf a few weeks back and brought me a stock full of Birch tree branches/leaves:lol:......

can buns eat Oak leaves, branches/bark?

I did wonder about the freshness and wilting of the plant. I even have my OH now looking for Willow tree :D, he went golf a few weeks back and brought me a stock full of Birch tree branches/leaves:lol:......

can buns eat Oak leaves, branches/bark?

Some say that young oak leaves are OK but I don't trust them. Different species of willow can have a large variation in how much salicylate (like aspirin) they have in them. Hazel & hawthorn are good though.

Back