• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's the best way to dry things?

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
And by "things" I mean delicious leaves etc for bunnies to munch on. If you don't have a dehydrator, what's the best sort of environment to dry them in - could I just spread them out on a tray in a cupboard? Or would out in the open be better? I don't know what I'm doing!

I dried plantain last year in a brown paper bag with small holes hung up by the air cupboard. Didn't last long though :roll:

i just lay them out on a tray in my window... did throw aload of nettles away today tho because bugs appeared to have hatched ewww eww eww nettles will be dried in the oven next time :lol::lol::lol:

I've always oven dried mine, spread in one layer over baking trays at about gas mark 1/4 for around 6 hours or untill dry and crispy. But recently ive been looking at other ways as its not very cost effective.
You can dry small amounts of leaves in the microwave in 30 second blasts untill dry but again its not cheap electric wise and if you let them dry to much they could catch fire which is never good.
Ive tried sundrying them in seed planting trays on the balcony but you have to stop them blowing away especially in the windy weather were having at the moment i just use the lids that come with the trays (4 for a pound at poundland) and it makes like a mini greenhouse.
I have some bunched and tied with string and pegged to my washing line at the moment but i havnt got a verdict on that method yet as theyve only just gone out there
jen

my dad has just chopped down looooads of rose bushes and i would love to dry them and give to the bunnies over winter :) How should i do this? I dont really have a cupboard or greenhouse and i doubt my parents would like to me to comandeer their oven for hours on end :roll:

Just interested if i could put them in tubs or something and leave them to dry in the front room? or would it have to be a paper bag?

You don't want anything air tight or plastic as it can get condensation and encourage mould. If the weather is warm and dry you can dry things outside.

When I dry herbs, I tie them up in a bunch and hang them upside down in the kitchen. It seems to work - I wonder if you could try it with the bunnies' things?

ok i will put them in paper bags i think :) The front room is pretty good for drying stuff i think. its not wet or damp or anything.

I presume any species of rose is ok?

I have some bunched and tied with string and pegged to my washing line at the moment but i havnt got a verdict on that method yet as theyve only just gone out there
jen

I do that with dandelions and hang them over the line in the garage.
Takes a few weeks but they dry fine

Back