• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Christmas dinner for the bunnies

Lord Trellis

Mama Doe
I've been thinking about how I can make a Christmas dinner for my bunnies and as its Christmas I can give them extra treats although the babies there will be some things I wont be feeding them like cabbage.

So foods on my lists are:

Carrots
Parsnips
Apple
Cabbage
Oatmeal
brussel sprouts
Lots of Hay
A variety of dry mix bunny food
Broccoli

That is some of the food I have. The babies I'll just give them hay and dry mix food I could give them a small slice of carrot.

Any ideas on a Christmas dinner for the bunnies?

I would not change my Rabbits diet at all or feed extra ‘treats’ over Christmas. Any dietary changes can cause gastric upsets. Vets are going to be extra expensive over a Holiday period.

When you say ‘dried mix’ food do you mean a Museli Mix ? If so then you might want to read this

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...t/rabbit-diet-obesity-commercial-food-treats/

I never feed carrots, parsnip, apple- too much sugar

I never feed Oatmeal, too high in carbs

Cabbage, sprouts and broccoli can cause gas in some Rabbits so I would only feed in a very small amount. I would not introduce any as a new food over Christmas as I don’t want to risk causing gastric upsets and the inevitable cost of out of hours Vet consultations.

I will give them a very small amount of each. The dry mix is just different types of a rabbit Museli Mix I get in Wilko but they only get a small handful this every so often. I'll take the gassy stuff off the list just to be on the safe side.

I do not feed carrots or parsnips, nor any type of fruit because of the sugar content. So my bunnies would not be used to any of those foods and to start giving them some at Christmas might upset their digestive systems. It isn't actually giving them a treat, if they end up with tummyache. On the whole bunnies are best kept to the foods that they have regularly.

As far as cabbage and sprouts are concerned, my bunnies have daily kale, spinach or chicory, which we have in the garden, so they are very used to those types of foods. So in their case, I would not be concerned to give them say a very small quantity of sprouts at Christmas. But I honestly don't think they would look upon it as a treat. They would initially certainly be suspicious as it's a new food.

I would definitely not give the babies anything different to normal.

I will probably give mine a bit of carrot peel but only because I know they've had it before and it shouldn't cause a problem, although it's not something they have regularly as i know it's not good for them. I wouldn't give loads of different things, especially not at the same time, as it's bound to cause an upset stomach somewhere. Best case you have a dirty bum to clean, worst case you have one or more go into GI stasis when vets are closed. I wouldn't worry about it as they don't know it's Christmas and most buns are happy with whatever they would usually have!

a bag of Timothy hay would be appreciated if you don't already give it to them. Or a handful of Readigrass.

Back