• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A+P Natural Rabbit Pellets and the Oldie Bunsters

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I have decided that oldies dont do well on A+P. Over the winter I noticed my oldies struggling to maintain their weight and fur condition. Eventually I swapped them onto SS Mature Rabbit (gawd its expensve :shock:) and within a matter of days all the oldies had gained weight and their coats went from coarse and lack-lustre to soft and shiney :)

From now on I wont be feeding A+P to anyBun over the age of 6.

Has anyone else noted a similar problem ?

I have, and not necessarily just in older bunnies or poorly ones either. Two of my outdoor bunnies lost condition over the course of this winter (their first on A&P) and had to be supplemented, one even had to be split from his trio and brought inside (no health problems were found and he is fine now).

I think I may switch food brands over the winter in future....or move them onto the breeder/grower variety instead.

I have decided that oldies dont do well on A+P. Over the winter I noticed my oldies struggling to maintain their weight and fur condition. Eventually I swapped them onto SS Mature Rabbit (gawd its expensve :shock:) and within a matter of days all the oldies had gained weight and their coats went from coarse and lack-lustre to soft and shiney :)

From now on I wont be feeding A+P to anyBun over the age of 6.

Has anyone else noted a similar problem ?

I started getting Spillers High Protein Pellets for my bunnies as it was hard to get hold of A&P Natural Rabbit Pellets. I also got A&P Breeder/Grower pellets (the yellow bag) as that was stocked routinely in the horse feed shop unlike the NRP (though now both are available)! Spillers and A&P Breeder/Grower pellets offer more protein and energy to older bunsters and my oldies (between 8 and 10 years old) are doing very well on it with the right weight and good coats! I put all my bunnies on it for convenience sake. In fact, when I once got A&P Natural Rabbit Pellets (as I thought that my normal adults shouldn't really be on higher protein), I found that most of my bunnies lost a little condition (and the oldies a bit more) again, so now all my bunnies, old and young, are on Spillers High Protein or A&P Breeder/Grower permanently and the youngsters are doing very well on it too! They are all looking great and have plenty of energy and go to the vet very rarely now.

Vera

PS. I switch between Spillers and A&P without problems, depending which I get hold of at the time. They seem pretty much identical to each other re contents and the bunnies make no difference between them either.

Last edited:
Oh "santa" found a cheap site to get SS Mature on the other day...will find the link, unless we have bought them out between us :lol:

I dont know if they do a 10kg sack of the 'Mature Rabbit'

They don't yet - I guess they're seeing how well it sells first. I have sent them an email enquiring as to whether they are planning on bringing out a 10kg sack. I reckon the more of us that do that, the more they are likely to respond positively ;) Hopefully the bigger bag will bring the price down even more...but in the meantime I'm buying it all up from vetuk as it is ridiculously cheaper than everywhere else at the moment!

What is the fibre/protein content of A&P breeder and grower - mine aren't on A&P now but it would be interesting to see how the breeder & grower pellets compare with things like SS and Excel.

EDIT: I've just looked in my email and I have two:

One from vetuk saying that the SS mature is out of stock and will be dispatched at the end of the week (fingers crossed they don't change their minds on the price when they get the delivery!)

One from Supreme petfoods saying they are only doing it up to a 2kg at the moment but that's not to say that they won't do a 10kg bag in future depending on demand...and that she will pass my mail onto the marketing manager. So please, everyone...if you like SS mature and would buy a 10kg sack, please email and let them know, you can do it via their website here:
http://www.supremepetfoods.com/contact.php

Last edited:
Thanks Jane :) Quite a big difference to the other A&P then!

I have edited my previous post too, after I checked my email :lol:

4+

Although personally I think if it was the same price as regular SS, I'd consider it for any age.

Thanks. :) How has it compared on the taste test? Are the bunnies going as wild for it as they do SS?

Last edited:
I haven't tried it yet - from what I've heard from those who have used it, they go even madder for it though! I have just ordered a load from vetuk because it's so cheap and am working on the theory that mine will be fine with it, and if they aren't, I'm sure I can find a home for it :lol:

Lou said that her buns have not only gone crazy for it, but their poos have tremendously improved on it too; I'm hoping with its timothy hay content it'll be particularly good for Santa, who isn't the worlds best hay eater!

Sounds great! :) I was just wondering how it compared to things like Oxbow Bunny Basics T. I had my 2 on that for a while, but they really preferred (original) SS. Obviously I have no real reason for all these questions - just interested in all things bun! :lol:

This makes really interesting reading. I was thinking of changing Honey to SS rather than A & P to have both buns on the same food. Wesley hates A & P.

If you come into my house with an open bag of SS Mature Rabbit you are unlikely to leave with your life !!..............:shock:

Back