• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Be honest - don't shout at me!!! UPDATE - cry!!!

Hello

Before I start, please don't shout me down, but I do want you to be honest with me.

O.K
Eric and Ernie were bought for me by my husband for my 5th Anniversary in May.
I had seen them in the local pet shop and fallen in Love. It was a surprise.

Had we known about rescues, we would not have bought them. But we did and I am so grateful to have them.

But.....................................

The pet shop now have their half sister in there. And she is beautful.
I can't get her out of my mind and have even had a cuddle (and named her Honey) I know that was a big mistake.
I know she would have a good home with me, but I also know, that if I decided on another bun, it should come from a resuce.

My husband said I can go and get her if I want to, but I know it's wrong.
But I don;t want her to go to a home for Xmas and be an unwanted pet.
She has been in there for about 3/4 weeks and it's breaking my heart.
A customer even asked the pet shop to keep her there until xmas as it was a present for their child:evil::evil::evil:

Even if I did go and get her - which I am desperately trying not to think about, I don't know if Eric and Ernie would welcome her. They have only just settled after months of Bonding.
I do have a spare hutch and run, but I don't want any of my rabbits to end up lonely.

Please help me with ths awful dilemna.

Here she is..............

halfsister2-1.jpg

By the way, the pet shop have said they might stop selling rabbits, because if they don't sell straight away, they have to keep feedng and cleanng them. What makes this even harder are, they are our friends!!

Last edited:
i think you should just go and get her otherwise you will always be wondering "what if" and your always think of her and where she is etc....

Awwww she is soooo cute, I can see why you can't get Honey out of your head:D Are you prepared to get another hutch and run if they don't bond? I have two males bonded with one female and it works really good so it can happen.
Good luck with whatever you decide and she is a cutie:love:

I agree with Kay and devotedtobuns just go and get her, don't feel bad that your not rescueing, at the end of the day every bun deserves a good home pet shop bought or not :D

i know that its best to get a bunny from a rescue but i also hate bunnies that get bought for children!

I work in a pet shop part time (although i hate it) i would end up with every bunny we get in! We have 3 mini lops right now (half sister and brothers to one of my buns) and i hate the thot of them going to someone that dont know much about bunnies!

However if you get that bunny (she is really cute) then atleast u know she is in safe arms and will have a home for life! but if you dont she may well end up in a home that is horrible and end up in a rescue! so u could be saving her from going to a rescue in the first place!!

Its upto you, follow your heart! there is no right or wrong.

I would love to rescue a rabbit, but i just have no room!

Its your choice, Let us know what you decide:D:wave:

After seeing her pic, I can't believe that you managed to leave the shop without her in the first place!!! :lol: :love: :love:

It is SUCH a difficult decision, I know. I always tout 'rescue all the way' to everyone as a rule......but there are always exceptions. I can totally understand you wanting her so badly as a.) She is related to your special boys, and b.) The thought of her ending up as yet ANOTHER unwanted child's Christmas prezzie within a month or two is a heartbreaking one. Especially with that fur.....how foolhardy for a parent to even CONSIDER giving a child a pet that requires so much dedication to grooming. :evil:

I always worry about upsetting balances bringing new buns in, too. But thankfully I haven't had any major upsets with my groups, touch wood. Only you can make the decison......but no one will be upset with you no matter WHAT you decide to do! :D :D She is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! :love: If you want her.....which I think you really do!....just go and GET her and give her the loving home that Eric and Ernie have - and that EVERY bun deserves! :D

I would tell the pet shop that you would take her if she hasn't been sold by a certain date. But I would not buy her now, as it might just give them an incentive to continue selling rabbits

i think u should go and get her.
if she doesnt bond with eric and ernie then she will have to be housed seperately and then you can go to a rescue for a friend for her.
I wouldnt like to be thinking "what if" all the time, i know we shouldnt buy from pet shops because it keeps them going but just this once wouldnt hurt;)
i saw 2 gorgeous blue rex girls yesterday and was so tempted to get one but they looked bonded as they were grooming each other, so i couldnt av done it anyway.
but afterwards i thought somebody is going to buy them seperately anyway:(:(
i want them both now but dont have the room:(

I'd view it as taking her in and giving her a good home, once you've weighed up all the pros and cons, if it is feasible.

If you believe the shop is ethical you won't need to feel that you are perpetuating a bad trade.

Esme came from a pet shop, a customer had taken in an accidental litter and the pet shop sold them on. They only sell to people they know and have an idea of he home they are going to. I'd have no hesitation in doing the same again as Esme might have ended up in a rescue anyway if the pet shop hadn't taken her.

I know what I do but then I'd be following my heart and definitely not my head :roll:

Being a pessimist, I would not do anything to jeopardize a bond between two brothers. They could start fighting.

no one has the right to shout at you hun if you want her go get her if you dont you will regret it and spend the next few years wondering where she is how she is etc.

also are your other buns neutered? im guessing their both boys? only i know of a few bonded males un-neutered who started to fight once a girly bun was bought obviously the smell makes their homones rage.

I was in a similar quandry before I got Dutchie over how it would affect the bond between the girls. If anything it has made them better and diluted the female hormones a bit. You have said in other posts that the bond between Eric and Ernie isnt great so this could go one of two ways it could make it better in which case great or it could make it worse. If that were the case it might give yo the opportunity to seperate the boys bond her withone of them and then get a rescue wifey bun for the other one. Good luck either way and lots of pics please

I would get her,you are obviously trying not to fall in love with her but you have,if you dont then you will always wonder :love::love:

I would look at the worse case scenario here.

If 'Honey' doesn't bond with Eric and Ernie you said you had a spare hutch & run for her. Would you then be prepared to take on a fourth bun to keep her company and is your hutch/run big enough?

If Honey bonds with only one of the lads and the other gets sidelined would you be prepared to separate him into the other hutch/run and find him a new wifey bun?

Hopefully you could achieve a successfully bonded trio but if the worse case scenario were to happen and you could deal with it then I would definitely be in the car and on my way to get her. Regrets are hard to deal with!

Every bunny deserves a good home regardless of where they have come from and you know you would be able to give that. Good luck in whatever you decide. Gill

Oh thanks everyone

Oh my aching heart.:cry::cry::cry:

Both my boys are neutered and it has been hard bonding them - I mean REALLY hard.

I think my darling little Ernie would love her:love::love:, but Eric may not. (I could of course be completely wrong!)

I do have a few choices.........

1. FOrget her and hope she finds a good and loving home.:cry::cry::cry:

2. get her and try and bond with my 2

3. Get her and keep her seperate (until she is speyed (sp))

4. If bond doesn't work, bond her with 1 male and get other male a girlfriend. But then twice the amount of work, not that I mind that, but it's time I don't have a the moment. ( I close my shop in March).

5. I can't think of anything else.

Anyone else? what would you do, if you were me?

Oh thanks everyone

Oh my aching heart.:cry::cry::cry:

Both my boys are neutered and it has been hard bonding them - I mean REALLY hard.

I think my darling little Ernie would love her:love::love:, but Eric may not. (I could of course be completely wrong!)

I do have a few choices.........

1. FOrget her and hope she finds a good and loving home.:cry::cry::cry:

2. get her and try and bond with my 2

3. Get her and keep her seperate (until she is speyed (sp))

4. If bond doesn't work, bond her with 1 male and get other male a girlfriend. But then twice the amount of work, not that I mind that, but it's time I don't have a the moment. ( I close my shop in March).

5. I can't think of anything else.

Anyone else? what would you do, if you were me?

Only you truley know if you aould cope with 2 pairs of bunnies if the worst case scenario were to happen.

Good luck whatever you decide. x

id get her, your find a way to cope if its what u really want :D

That is true. You find a routine. I have 6 bunnies and 24 Guinea pigs and I make time for them. I have no social life but I love it! (I'm not trying to put you off!!!)

I think you would regret it if you didn't get her.

Back