• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What is this in Darcy's Ear?? VET UPDATE! TAMSIN!

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
I was grooming and fussing Darcy as usual when I spotted this weird thing in his ear. At first I thought it was a tiny ball of polysterine (sp) from packaging or something but when I tried to get it out with my fingers it seemed to be attached to his ear. He is eating, poohing, hopping around and snoozing just as normal.

DSCF2804.jpg

DSCF2803.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a little wart maybe?

I'm impressed with your photo taking abilities - none blurry shot of inside of ear is pretty impressive!

Is it harmful to him? Does it need vet treatment or do you think its okay to leave it?

Thanks re my photography! Its more my camera than me tho...:oops:

If that's what it is then no. Personally, I would monitor it, if it looks sore or changes size then get him checked asap otherwise just get the vet to look next time you visit. I'm not a vet though :)

Tamsin

I spoke to my Aunt last night who works for a vet and she said it sounds like it might be a tick. She said they're very common and not to touch it as if you try and take it out - apparently it leaves the legs in (ewww) and thats what causes infection to the rabbit. She said to leave it until it just drops off by itself.

Anyone had experience of this? :?

Has it changed at all? Ticks suck blood and swell up before dropping off.

Tam

Ticks suck an animals blood which can cause anemia. Vets have special tools for removing them which removes the teeth as well though it may be difficult in the ear. Someone told me that if you cover them in vasaline they can't breath so die and drop off.

Vaseline? Really? Thats a good idea I might try that. My Aunt told me about surgical spirit to put over it as the fumes kill the tick - thats what they do when they're on dogs apparently. But I'm loathe to do that as its so far into his ear really don't want chemicals near his delicate ears.

Does Darcy go outdoors?

I think the only way to work out for sure is to get the vet to get a close up with an ear scope.

My friend used it on her dog and it worked. I would've thought fumes from surgical spirit wouldn't be too plesant for the bun. They have sensitive noses. I would def ask a vet if you're worried. Even if he says its nothing to worry about at least it's put your mind at rest.

Thats the weird thing. No. None of mine go outside at the moment - haven't for ages as its winter. The other bunnies ears are all clear. The only thing I can think it came in was the hay??:?

I agree and I'm going to take him to the vet on Friday. As its not causing him any distress I'm hoping it might drop off by then but if not we'll see what the vet says. :?

I've checked the rest of him and can't find anymore of this weird things. :?

VETUPDATE! As the "tick" still hadn't gone away by itself I took Darcy to the vet today. I didn't put any vaseline on it etc just in case it wasn't that.

Turns out TAMSIN was right! Its just a very odd little ear wart, flappy bit of skin. She said it does him no harm at all but if it gets bigger and is an irritant then they can remove it but she doubts that will happen. :D She was so nice that she didn't even charge me! She said as I was just being a concerned pet owner there was no charge!!:D

Awww, I'm glad it's nothing serious :D Good to get it checked out anyway though. Ear warts, honestly, bunnies who'd have um! :roll: :lol:

Back