Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Let Petshops Know What You Think!

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitangel View Post
    Just that erm....pet stores provide the vast amount of money to pet food manufacturers...so erm...yeah. Get my drift. So I wouldn't cut them off 100%, I would still like to be able to feed my rabbit.
    It's not like the food won't be sold because people have boycotted shops selling live animals. The manufacturing companies will sell the same amount of food and make the same amount of money, it's just people would be supporting animal-free businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by AllForTheAnimals View Post
    Does anyone like their local pet stores? I have found almost no people that do I am lucky and have a very good pet store in my area I acutally buy rabbits and lots of other animals there this is a very good Idea
    I'm not particularly happy with either of mine. One doesn't sell livestock but sells all those terrible brightly coloured treats, tiny hutches and no runs, the other in the town sells livestock from rodent farms and all the enclosures are tiny. They have no idea what they are talking about (were selling sugar gliders and didn't know what their diet should be, told me zebra mice would be fine with fancy mice, etc).
    There's another pet shop about an hour away which again sells tiny hutches and no runs but I do buy my mice in there because I know the breeder they come from is a lovely local lady and I've visited back when she sold to the public. Then there's P@H, which aside from the fact they source from breeding farms, is pretty good.
    I buy the vast majority of my stuff from zooplus, no selling animals, lots of nice natural treats and good value.

Great thread, I've tried writing before but never put it in terms of the fact they'd be losing X amount of business, might be worth a go!

Click the photo for my etsy shop, or follow me on facebook

Thanks for this. I used the rabbit and guinea pig part for my complaint letter to Pets At Home - today there was a rabbit and a guinea pig together in the ADOPTION section. Apparently they were "best of friends", therefore must be re homed together... it made me so angry, especially since they are doing their "Support Adoption For Pets" campaign. I can't think of any rescue charity that would recommend that you house rabbits and guinea pigs together!

Thank you so much for this going to use it now....
    -Laura

xlaurahunterx

Bluebell & Bramble
    At the Bridge: Cheese (AKA Sugar Lump) & Pickle (AKA The Pickler)

Went into P&H Redditch today, must have been at least 10 rabbits in 1 of the front pens, 2 bottles bone dry, not even any dregs in them.
    Told the guy serving on the till, then made a point of waiting by the pen until they we're given water - some 10 minutes later

Pet Centre, Shirley is housing rabbits in Fish Tanks

As someone in the market for buying a hutch/rabbits at the moment, it's an absolute minefield.

The majority of hutches are dire. We've spent nearly a day trawling the internet for an easy solution (i.e a 6ftx2ft hutch on top of a 8ft run) - nigh on impossible. The closest I've got is a hutch with a 6ft run underneath it which isn't too bad, I am sure I could DIY increase it by 2ft for when the bunnies grow.

And when it comes to actually acquiring the rabbits from a responsible source... Christ. Pets4homes is the easiest, but is it trustworthy? Who knows - I suspect it's hit and miss...

I would like to rehome a couple of rabbits but I would quite like them to be 3-6 months old (and preferably coupled up already), and all the centres near my have rabbits in sets of.... three which I feel would be a little too much for us.

The search goes on!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrules334 View Post
    As someone in the market for buying a hutch/rabbits at the moment, it's an absolute minefield.

The majority of hutches are dire. We've spent nearly a day trawling the internet for an easy solution (i.e a 6ftx2ft hutch on top of a 8ft run) - nigh on impossible. The closest I've got is a hutch with a 6ft run underneath it which isn't too bad, I am sure I could DIY increase it by 2ft for when the bunnies grow.

And when it comes to actually acquiring the rabbits from a responsible source... Christ. Pets4homes is the easiest, but is it trustworthy? Who knows - I suspect it's hit and miss...

I would like to rehome a couple of rabbits but I would quite like them to be 3-6 months old (and preferably coupled up already), and all the centres near my have rabbits in sets of.... three which I feel would be a little too much for us.

The search goes on!
    P@H isn't the best but I can really appreciate why people are tempted to get the adoption buns out of those glass tanks. The younger ones are often mis-sexed (many a unexpected litter on here when someone thinks they've bough two boys / girls). They frequently seem to have the snuffles too. at least most rescues will give you the heads up about any health problems. Rescuing at around 6 months would let you avoid the stress & expense of spaying / neutering. There are quite a few rescues that will rehome further afield too. Any on the rehome section of here that would suit?

Thats interesting about lots of trios available - its a nice number of bunnies to have

I don't know much about hutches but read on here that Boyles & Manor Pet Housing are good (I think, please correct me anyone if I'm wrong). Aviaries & playhouses & sheds seem popular & I can understand why.

To be fair to P@H from the perspective of looking after the rabbits in their care - it was good.
    They had ice snugglesafes, iced bottles and some tiles for them to sit on to keep cool as it was a hot day.

On the other hand, as I put in my housing post, there's NO hutches that meet RWAF hutches sold by any of these retailers (in the shops anyway).

I did find a hutch I liked from Dunster - but then found posts on here heavily suggesting not to go there lol.

The hunt continues...

Winner of my business : www.ukrabbithutches.co.uk will see what it's like when it arrives. Correspondence excellent before purchasing