• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Electricity in sheds

um20

Young Bun
A question for all you guys that have electricity in your shed(s) - where did you take your feed from and how do you have the connection setup at the shed end so the rabbits dont get at it? :?

I'm thinking of powering mine, mainly so I can have a light in there and some heating, but I'm also tempted to put a Wireless Network IP Camera in there so I can watch them during the day from my work PC - rabbitcam! :lol:

I'd have to install a new spur from the garage fusebox and run a cable from there across the garden to the playhouse. It isn't rocket since I know, but I'm wary of making electrical changes given the recent legislation preventing unqualified 'laymen' from doing it themselves.

I had a heater in the shed last winter and it worked from an outside socket.

I had it set on a timer which came on for a hour at a time then off for a couple of hours :D

The heater I used was a small fan heater which had a handle so I was able to attach it to a small hook from the roof which kept the cable out of harms way - the cable was fed in through a small hole I had made in the upper wall.

I worked really well and did not cost that much at all :D

lol Pam

ours is connected from the dinning roon the room closest to the shed and taken from a pulg and throught a waterproof pipe (hose pipe) and has a cut off too we also but a timer on too
becky

Ive got two going to my sheds one in each, they are pluged into the kitchen [2 sockets. Then electrical wires going through outdoor tubing to the sheds. I have rarther a lot pluged in down there lol. There are three fluresant tubes in each shed [ there 18ft and one 23ft long], then i have in th hot weather 4 fans two in each shed. As ive just extended the longest one for more elbow room :lol: , ive got a radio and the all important kettle :lol: . val

I too just plug into a socket in the kitchen, but have an RCD on there too.

Really the wire should be armour plated and run in a buried conduit , but I'm afraid I cheated and just ran it in that plastic wire ducting you can buy from the hardware sheds. (The black tubes you can see here on the left:)
conduit.jpg

I do use weather proof junction boxes and sockets inside the shed though, and outside style lights, and a bathroom style switch to prevent electrocution. Although it's rain proof, obviously the humidity can get quite high, and rain can get in when you open the door.

Socket:
socket.jpg

Lightswitch:
lightswitch.jpg

Light, and junctionbox
light.jpg

I did some research on wiring regs at the time, and as long as it was a "temporary circuit" (ie not wired permanently) then you didn't need a seperate consumer unit and earth at the shed end.

However, I'm really not sure where you stand with the new legislation to be honest. I did get a quote to have it done properly by an electrician with a new circuit off the main consumer unit, but I'm afraid I have forgotten how much it was. It was pretty scary money for sure! (£500ish?) :shock: :(

ps. All wires are in areas inaccessible by the buns. See http://www.thebunnyshed.co.uk/TheShed.htm for the layout inside.

Nice shed Jeremy!

Also love the camera page, that's the kind of thing that I'm hoping to do, albeit with only one 54g IP camera. Mounted in the top corner it should give me a full field and will be remotely controllable, and it's colour. Unlike yours though I can only afford to put electricity and 1 camera (they're £300 each :eek: )

I do fancy doing it right though, so I'm probably going to add a new switch into the garage consumer unit and run the conduit underground to the playhouse. I like the idea of heating in there over the winter.

Back