• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny who enjoys a bath?

Hi all.

I haven't posted in ages! I bet noone remembers me!

Anyhow, my bunny Dylan keeps getting a mucky bum.
I've stopped everything except hay, but it hasn't got much better.

At one point it was so bad I was bathing him twice a week.
You know, the full works...
bath, blow dry, brush, and an hour infront of the fire! :roll:

I bath him in a shampoo from work, Assisi
http://www.lush.co.uk/system/index.php

He loves a bath, quite strange really.
But I don't want to keep bathing him, as I worry about it damaging
his fur, or him getting a cold etc.

Is there anything else I can do?

Can you trim his bum hair and just wash round that area. I got medicated stuff from the vet to use for Star. (I remember you!)

Yay, at least someone remembers me!

I've cut most of the long hair off, but he must role in it!
It gets all down his chest and on his feet!

Dirty boy!

Here he is:

dylan2.jpg

awww he is absolutely beautiful! after you saying he must roll in it though, i have to make sure he's not supposed to be originally a white bun ;)

he is gorgeous!

Maybe he luvs baths sooo much he makes himself dirty just so he gets one. Is he litter trained? That might help coz then u could just clean out the tray more often and he wouldn't get much chance to roll in it.

allyandtobey said:
awww he is absolutely beautiful! after you saying he must roll in it though, i have to make sure he's not supposed to be originally a white bun ;)

he is gorgeous!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ginny has had more baths than Ron. When we give her a bath in a few inches of warm water we have to be quick. She pees in the bath water everytime.

We then have tot rise her off be using the shower otherwise she pees again. (It is probably because it is warm and wet) At least she just sits there and loves it.

Estelle said:
He shouldn't slobber. Does he have teeth problems? I would take him to the vet for a check up.

Yes, I'd definately get it checked out, drooling is a sign of molar problems, which could also explain the mucky bum. If the spurs are bad enough to be cutting into his gum or tongue (which they would get if they had developed and been left untreated), he'd probably be reluctant to eat his hay, even if he was starving. This lack of fibre would definately not help his tum.

Are you feeding pellet food as well as the hay, or just hay and nothing else?

Whenever my buns have had mucky problems I've been able to solve it by cutting right down on pellet food.

I don't think any of mine have a big problem in this area, but since I came across this idea on an American forum, we've not had any mucky-bum problems at all.

Previously I'd tended to cut out greenstuff, which I now realise actually made the problem worse if anything.

Sugar loves baths she starts to drink the water :roll: you can hear her slurping it up

as everybody else said get him checked out about the slobbering it could be his teeth

I took him for a check up after I bought him back from Crewe,
where he was dumped.

The vet said he was in good condition considering, although a bit thin.
I did question this, as I am convinced he has pasturella,
(runny nose, wet paws etc) but the vet didn't think so.

I did wonder about his teeth, but he eats like a horse,
Veggies, hay, fruit tree branches, he has no trouble eatting.

He slobbers when he's lying on you, your left with a great big slobber
patch!

I think i'll change vets.

Phoebe eats like a horse too but has some problems with her back teeth that will need sorting soon. I would find a different vet if I were you.

hutchley_eats_hamsters said:
I took him for a check up after I bought him back from Crewe,
where he was dumped.

The vet said he was in good condition considering, although a bit thin.
I did question this, as I am convinced he has pasturella,
(runny nose, wet paws etc) but the vet didn't think so.

I did wonder about his teeth, but he eats like a horse,
Veggies, hay, fruit tree branches, he has no trouble eatting.

He slobbers when he's lying on you, your left with a great big slobber
patch!

I think i'll change vets.

:D I get the same with my bun, it's not his teeth, or even that his slobbering exactly, he actually licks my trousers or the sofa etc without me realising. It's the only time he does it, when he's really content. His teeth have been checked, so it's not that at all with mine.

buns.jpg

Mine is now having a similar problem with a dirty bum although it isn't runny! I think he's getting a bit lazy cleaning himself?! He's now had a bath almost every day but I do him in the bathroom sink/ handbasin. That way I can wash off what is dirty and leave the rest dry. ALso means I can hold him at the same time!! He doesn't like it tho lol!
I've bought a special natural organic shampoo for him in case any gets left on. I always worry I haven't rinsed him properly!

Good Luck and I love the pics - you all have such gorgeous bunnies :D

Hi Sarah!
I work at Lush too! I work at the Exeter store and am ALWAYS recommending Assissi for people to use on their pets!
I have only just got my bunny and she is so cute! We are slowly bonding. Glad your bunny is ok.
Vic
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thats great Vic!

I work at Lush Hanley, in stoke on trent.
Asissi is great for dylan. Mind you he's quite partial to Gratuitous Violets,
but I try to avoid leaving it in the bathroom when he's in. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love to see some pics of your bunny!

Back