• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Handling

Bionic Bunny

Alpha Buck
I am a first year vet student and as part of my course I am doing an introduction to rabbit handling. The course guide gives us instructions on how to handle any rabbit. They state that you should lift the rabbit using the scruff of it's neck and then support it's behind with your other hand. Is this correct? I have been told by a number of people that this method is no longer used as it can injure the rabbit. How do people handle a strange rabbit for the first time? My only experience has been with my own rabbits.

Thank You

I think and don't quote me! But if you place one hand along it's back and one hand under it's bottom and lift it that way XX

alot of people think you can pick up a rabbit up by the scruff of the neck because 'thats what mum does to them' WRONG rabbits can't pick up there own babies so they have never been picked up by the scruff of the neck.

when i pick up mine i put one hand under the front arms and one hand under there bun and then bring them close to my chestleaving one hand under their bum so that they feel safe

I am glad you said that because when I mentioned it after the lecture everybody told me I was wrong. They also told me that rabbits only live till they are five. My rabbit is nine and healthier than ever! And these are the vets of the future!

hi

my girls have barely been handled, and if I picked them up in a nice way as stated above, they would eat me for breakfast :shock: I think the vet school way is designed to protect vet from being badly bitten, which of course would be a bit of a disaster for someone doing surgery several times a week :?

tell your class there are a few rabbits belonging to people here that are ten plus....in fact one is coming up for 14 soon :shock:

I am determined to change people's opinions of rabbits. One of my friends was shocked that my rabbit is litter trained. He wasn't litter trained until he was seven and a half and he is nine now. She also said that rabbits were too dirty to keep inside! My quest is to set people straight.

You don't know how heartwarming it is that someone interested in rabbits is training to become a vet. We need more people like you!

I agree! Would anyone like to give me £150,000 so I can go and retrain! I had offers from Bristol and London (going back 13 years now!) although I didn't get the A levels I needed due to glandular fever and it wasn't the done thing to resit/take a year out back then :cry:

I'm fairly convinced actually that one of the reasons I got an offer was because I was interested in rabbits. Having chatted to other people at the interviews, I'd say that over 50% of them there weren't interested in companion animal medicine, let alone rabbits!

Oh if only I could turn back the clock *sigh*

It was hard work getting into University but I got here! Rabbits have more in common with horses than they do dogs or cats ie. digestive system and the fact that they are a prey animal. However, most vets don't differentiate between a rabbit and a cat which is where the problems start!

If you email the RWA they'll probably send you copies of their leaflets to hand out to the class.

Tam

Glad to have you here. There are times when its easier to pick up by the scruff and preventing being bitten is one of them. I tend to pick them up round the middle and then up to my chest, as long as you take there whole weight then alls well.Picking up by the scruff is not now advised because to many people dont take there weight when doing it and this can lead to bruising if the skin. val

I was horrified when i visited a vet (I only went the once) who dragged Patch out of her carrier by the scruff of her neck. I usually use the 'scoop' mehtod, or pick them up with both hands around the middle, then turn them in to me, one hand under the bum, the other supporting the front legs.
Glad there are people like you training to be vets. I've actually found a vet where all of them seem to be really bunny savvy - it's fab!

It is definately hope-giving to hear from a trainee vet, who truly wants to understand rabbits! Keep spreading the message an educating people :D

Back