• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chewing

maxbun

Warren Scout
Can anybody tell me whether you can use the stuff you can buy to stop puppies from chewing things to stop bunnies from doing the same? I have just bought a small pet house (like a kennel but with a smaller from door!) to go into Max and Millie's run so that they can get out of the rain and it was only in the run for about an hour and Millie has nibbled all round the roof and round the door opening. :no: She also discovered that if she went underneath, she could push up the floor and still climb out through the door :lol: Any way, to get back to my question - I wondered if I could paint the edges of the house with anti chew solution.

Jane

i never knew you had a millie too :lol:

im not too sure about this, my dog blayde i used it on and it made him sick (Even though its made for dogs!)
so i think it may be a bit too strong. millie chews the edges of my books and im getting annoyed (and punished by teachers :lol: )
so i need a solution also!

hi

someone somewhere recommended rubbing a bar of soap along the bits they chew to make it taste and smell nasty? It might just be a novelty thing - mine got chewed a bit then they decided hay was nicer - BUT BE VERY CAREFUL they don't eat the roofing felt - it killed my bunny as, unlike other stuff they nibble, roofing felt contains tar and it all must have stuck together in an insoluble mass in his stomach, causing a blockage.

Hi my bunnies used to chew our sofa's. As you can imagine I really was not impressed. :no: I got pepper and rubbed it down the sides of the sofa. It worked as the bunnies have not chewed the sofa since. :D Hope this helps.
Emma x

Hi

My Pebble will chew anything - the wallpaper, the bed, the furniture, the skirting boards! I tried the spray used to repel dogs but it didn't deter her at all. The only thing which has helped a bit is giving her a branch from the garden and she chews the wood and rips the bark off.
Maybe you could try that to distract your bunny from nibbling?
Good luck :D

I will try the pepper and soap ideas though, they sound great!

Back