• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter training!

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
sorry everyone, i know i have asked about this before but ive never really got any answers on how to litter train Gabriel. i have done searches and cant find any posts about it either(unless im being blind!)

when i first got Gabriel, he wasnt too bad at using the litter tray as i have put his hay rack right above it so he doesnt really have a choice lol! but the past few weeks now he has gotten really bad, peeing and pooping everywhere! please can someone give me some tips on how to litter train this little devil!?!

hi

sorry I can't remember if he's been snipped yet - they're whipping them off left right and centre on this forum - can't keep track of who's been done and who's retained their manhood :lol:

If he's not been neutered yet then he's just marking territory more - If he has been neutered then try confining him to a smallish area and fill it with litter boxes near enough - when I got the girls I had 3 boxes - now I have 5, but they tend to have their favourite place even with 5 - one box hardly gets used but I leave it there incase they run out of hay in the other boxes - I just put a handful in each box 4 times a day - they tread on it a bit even though I squash it up one end - but unless it's peed on it doesn't matter, they still eat it - and any leftovers make a nice bed by night-time.

My girls mess all over the patio though when I let them out - but they are good in the confines of their shed, so try limiting his area for a few days maybe :)

When we litter trained ours we would wipe up with a bit of paper towel any urine that wasn't in the tray and then place the paper towel in the litter tray. I read this trick somewhere or other and gave it a go and it worked absolutely fine, even though one of ours isn't spayed.

What are you using in the litter tray? Most people seem to swear by newspaper with hay on the top, so they can have a nibble while pooping :shock: I would just keep scooping up what poops he does and put them in the tray and like nreal_hill said if you sock up the wee and put that in there too he might get the message.

Good Luck

Back