• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jealous bunny

Amethyst

Warren Veteran
I think that Puzzle's nipping and lunging might be to do with jealousy and attention-seeking. Every time I go to fuss China, Puzzle rushes up to me and lunges a bit, going to nip me. Plus, if I'm fussing him, if I even so much as think about stopping, he lunges again.

What do I do?

AMETHYST

i am very sorry to hear this!

i am not really sure why, maybe he is jealous. i know when i paired up bella with little fella she gave me a really bad bite when i made a fuss of LF. i guess it may be a time thing, he needs to settle into his new home as a house bunny and with having a girlfriend.

i know this isnt much help- sorry!

sophie

Thanks Sophie!

It's not a major problem, and he doesn't do it much. I think he's just really over-enthusiastic! I just wanted to make sure that he wasn't going to be unhappy or feel upset. I think you're right, he just needs time to settle in!

Anyone else - I was wondering how I should respond to him whenever he does this. Should I stop, or carry on? I thought that carrying on might reinforce his bad behaviour, but then I want him to feel loved and realise he is in his forever home now and his bunny mum and dad won't stop fussing him!

AMETHYST

When I have rabbits that behave like this I try not to give them the opportunity eg if they lunge at me when I get their food bowl, I wait till they are out to get their bowl.
Is he lunging when you go to get China out of their home or even when they are out? If it's only around his home I'd remove the lid and let him come out before putting my hands in there.
I do this till they have forgotten the behaviour (can take months)

I know some people wear thick coats and gloves. This means you can ignore any biting (as it can't hurt) When the rabbit realises that you aren't reacting it often stops bothering.

Hope he calms down soon!

Petey used to try nipping me for attention, I used to say "OUCH" and look cross at him and walk away and ignore him, he doesnt do it anymore and just thrusts his nose forward under my hand till I tickle it, I was worried when he started the nipping as I didnt want a grumpy bun :( as I wouldnt know how to deal with it and handle him, but ignoring seemed to help and now he is a lovely affectionate bunny with a wonderful cheeky character, and as long as his feet stay firmly on the ground he doenst grumble :D

I've got a couple of bunnies that lunge, nip and growl from time to time!

Niamh doesn't do it to me but she does go for my son and boyfriend! :shock: I just say no firmly and put her in her cage for a couple of mins. Sometimes she'll give a little nip if she wants some attention, it seems to work if you say no or ouch!!!

The other Fudge has been much better recently but he used to be an absolute nightmare! His bites are so bad that ski gloves are needed!!! I just keep saying no and let him carry on attacking the gloves if he ignores me. He soon realises that it has no effect and goes off to sulk!!! :lol: Fortunately I've only had to get the gloves out once this year, and that was because he was getting over excited at tea time and I needed to get the bowl out!!! Anyone would've thought I was starving him!!! :shock: :lol:

Back