• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice on bonding

suzy_d

Alpha Buck
I was just wondering whats the earliest age to bond a young female bun with an older male bun? and whats the earliest age for a female baby bun to be neutered?!?!?!

As long as one or the other (preferably both) have been done you can start bonding at any time. Obviously leave it 6 weeks after the blokes op if she isn't done for him to become unfertile. Or a couple of weeks after her op for her to heal before starting. If the baby bunny is very young I would make sure she is well adjusted and settled in her new home before bonding.

Caz

shes 9 weks old and i have a handsome boy bunny whos 1 whos been neutered. is 9 weeks a bit young?!

is there a bit size difference between the 2 of them. you can begin bonding by putting their cages next to each other, so that they can see and smell each other. i wouldnt put them together unless you feel confident enough, how long has your boy been neutered for?
have you triple checked to make sure that the little baby is actually a girl?

sophie

hes been done since april and iv had her checked shes a girl!! hes a bit bigger than her cos hes slightly chubby but i put them together yesterday in the bath...he went to mount her so i took her away cos i was scared she may get squished!!

you could put them both in a pet carrier together and see how things go. the 2 bunnies are normally quite stressed and go to each other for company, if your boy bun is stressed out he probably wont mount her.

sophie

I wouldn't worry too much about her getting squished unless the size difference is immense i.e. full grown giant to baby netherland dwarf. Zeus was twice Athena's size and he mounted her when they were bonding and she was fine. She soon showed him she wanted to be boss though when she mounted him back ;).

You do have to allow a little mouting otherwise the boss of the relationship won't be established. Obviously if it doesn't stop after a while or she seems really stressed out then you should seperate them with a see-through divider until she calms down before trying again.

Caz

well i put them in the bath again last night and they seemed to ignore each other...only my boy bunny seems to sniff my baby bun underneath and looks like hes going to bite her...is this a sign of aggression??

Back