• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moulting, nest building and humping!

Hi,

We have 2 female dutch rabbits, both twin sisters called Trinny & Susannah, they are about 5 months old. When we first got them thay had been in a shop so we didn't want to put them outside straight away. We purchased a hutch and put them in the (not decorated as yet) dining room. Since they have been in there we have moved their hutch twice. The first time was to stop them hiding behind it when they were let out and the 2nd was to move them away from the neighbours wall as they were making such a racket when ripping up cardboard boxes.

Their present position is next to the window and a radiator (thought it would be nice for them to look at the garden). Sometimes we put the radiator on when it's cold and the windows are not double glazed, so some air passes through. My question is and maybe it's the time of year, but since they moved to the window area they have started to build what looks like a nest in their toilet compartment. One of the girls (Trinny - The reluctant one!) will gather straw or hay in her mouth and take into the compartment and recently we've noticed that they are moulting, or should I say one is pulling her own fur out (Trinny again!!) The fur also ends up as bedding.

Is this normal for the time of year? Or do you think it's because they have been moved to a draughtier place?

Also they both seem to mount each other (this has happened since day one) and Susannah has suffered drawing of blood to her skin. It seems to have healed up now, but we wonderded if this was normal for 2 dutch female rabbits? It could be excitement as they seem to do it before they are about to be fed....

Thanks,
M&K. :?

Hi,
I'm no expert and sure others will be along soon... but my first thought on reading your post is are you sure they are both female?

My first though is also are they two females, you also don't mention how long you have had the two rabbits.

Rabbits do not normally build nests to protect themselves from the draughts, they have a fur cold to keep them warm so the move to a place nearer the window is unlikely to have resulted in this behaviour. Rabbits usually make nests due to a change in their hormones such as if they are experiencing a phantom pregnancy which does occur with unneutered female rabbits or if they are about to give birth.

My advise would to be get them sexed properly, there is a good article on here which may help you http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=648 or take them to a vet or a local rescue to get them checked properly if you are still unsure. In my own experience some pet shops are not always the best place to get them sexed, others are really good at this. The other advice would be to get them both neutered as soon as your vet is happy to do this, a good article about this is http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/neutleaf.htm

Janice

Definitely go and get them sexed!! Keep us posted here about what happens. there are lots of people on this site who know an awful lot about bunnies. Did you know about the high uterine cancer risks if girls are not neutered? Theres so much to learn!!!!!!!!!!! I'm only just getting my head around it. Good luck :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

i would say this is a phantom pregnacy and dutch and tan breeds mature quite quicky and u say they r about 5 months old so this sounds right, they r telling u they want babies, if u want them to stop this i would say to get them neutered, but i would also get them sexed too, just incase
becky

Ooooh, you're scaring me now!! The pet shop said they were girls as did our vet. Anyway thanks for all your replies. I'm hoping Rexy Bexy's advice is more correct. Anyhow, I'll speak with my other half and arrange another visit to the vets and do a bit more research on female rabbits. It won't be immediately, but I'll let you know how we get on. Oh and sorry, we've had them for 2 months.

M&K :)

If it's any help, Nougat was building a nest about a month ago, but there's no way she can be pregnant. Think it's the time of year.

My neighbours girlie bun builds nest all the time, and her and her sisters mount each other occasionally.
I should think your vet would have sexed them right though petshops are notoriously bad at getting it right.

have you got any pics of your babies? I would love to see them :D

Back