• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training

leesabuntine

Warren Scout
HI Everyone

Ive had my rabbit George for 4 days and I am wanting to litter train him.
He is in a large zoo zone that has a little troff at one end for food and hay and a water bottle. At the other end i have put a corner litter tray with some cat litter(wooden pellets).I also have one of the igloo type things for him to sleep in.

Im after any advice on litter training him....so far he has not used it and just picks it up and throws it around.I have even picked up poos and put them in the tray and sawdust thats been peed on but he isnt getting the message.

Any advice would be great!
Leesa.

It is still early days. He will choose where to pee/poo and when he does put the tray in that area and put the pee/poo into the tray. I never had much success with the corner litter trays as i think they are too easily thrown which is what mine did.. moved it and peed in the corner it was in in the first place :roll: :lol: . Keep perservering it does take time.. if u dont have any luck u might be better getting a cat litter tray.

hi

The other good thing about cat litter trays (or bigger - I use underbed storage boxes) is that you can put the litter at one end and the bunnie's food, especially hay, at the other end of the box, as they like to pee and poop while they eat it (charming!)

Edana and the boys :love:

I agree that it is a good idea to leave them too it until you find out where they want to pee and then put the litter tray there. Joey never used his corner tray in the beginning, he would only use the big high backed square one. Now he only ever uses the corner one in his cage and doesn't use the square one. It does take time though.

I found as well that the pee was the easy bit, trying to get him to poo in the tray everytime took a few months.

Two of our buns took to the litter tray instantly, however Binky took time, he just thought it was a toy to push about :roll: but finally he twigged :D though occasionally he still slips up and widdles on his floor :roll:

Keep trying its so much easier with litter trays :D

yep, just put it where he wants to go. keep putting soiled bedding in there. I use a High-Bac litter tray, it works very well. not too large and not too small. works great.

Good luck! It takes time and patience :D

I bought a high back corner tray as Sooty pees over the low ones. Put food beside it and water bottle too so he stands in it when munching. He seemed to get it.

Back