• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Infactol dosage

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
Hiya,

Just had this query through RR:

can someone please tell me what doseage of infacol to give to my
pet rabbit, who is suffering from a gurgling stomach and has stopped
eating,has recently had anti biotic (URGENT)

Anyone know?

Tam

You can give 2mls immediately followed by another an hour later - you can also give another 1ml hourly for however long. Infacol will not harm the bun - hope this helps and hope bunny is going to be alright.

Hi

Princess had an injection of Metoclopramide yesterday as she hadn't been to the toilet since Sat evening. That seemed to work and there were quite a few nice poos last night and today. I changed her litter tray at 7pm and by 9.30pm she hadn't done any poos. If there are still none in the morning would you advise giving her some Infacol? Is Kittymalt OK to give with it? Or should I take her back to the vets?

She is still eating well and her normal bouncy self.

Thanks

Nicola

Tamsin said:
Hiya,

Just had this query through RR:

can someone please tell me what doseage of infacol to give to my
pet rabbit, who is suffering from a gurgling stomach and has stopped
eating,has recently had anti biotic (URGENT)

Anyone know?

Tam

Tam, that must be the lady I spoke to on the phone on Sunday. I gave her the adress of RR so she could come on the Forum. I give Infacol but wasn't sure of exactly how much you can give in 24hours. I must give her a call to see how the rabbit is doing.

Nicola, if there are no poos in the morning I would contact your vet. Usualy they give Maxalon Syrup as a follow on to give the bunny at home after a Metaclopromide injection. Maxalon - is Metaclopromide in syrup form.

Thank you very much :) I will do that as there are still no poos this morning! She is bright and being cheeky tho and eating well, so just needs another kick start!!

Nicola

Nicola I have sent you an email re Princess in reply to yours :)
Hope Princess starts toileting again very soon, it is a good sign she is still eating though :)

Thank you Adele :) I have just replied to you with some more info. Yes I look at it as a good sign that she never lost her appetite and that she is still her lively, normal self.

Nicola

Thank you Lynn - I do too :) Yes it is a good sign, she doesn't look ill at all. I want to sort it quickly so that she stays that way and doesn't start to look ill!!

Was it Rob who had tummy problems?

Nicola

nicolar said:
Thank you Lynn - I do too :) Yes it is a good sign, she doesn't look ill at all. I want to sort it quickly so that she stays that way and doesn't start to look ill!!

Was it Rob who had tummy problems?

Nicola

Yes, he had lots of statis/tum problems, but when he was very ill it was a problem with his colon. I now believe it was mainly diet related :oops: and he has not had a recurrence for about eight months now :)

He was given metaclopromide followed by maxalon at home for the statis. However, normally when he had 'statis' he was not keen to eat, and did not look bright - he looked thoroughly miserable.

I have read that mint is good for settling tums, and Rob loves this, so he now gets it every day. I have also been using a probiotic daily since he came out hospital, so maybe this is helping too. :)

I know how you feel right now - it's amazing how poos become the nicest sight in the world :roll:

Yes I can't wait to see another poo! I was so happy on Monday night and Tue morning when there were poos but very upset this morning!!

I will try giving her some mint as well, I've been giving her some parsley. I have some probiotic here so it may be worthwhile giving her that too, anything to get it moving again!! Were u prescribed the Maxalon at the same time as you had the Metoclopramide injection?

Nicola

nicolar said:
Were u prescribed the Maxalon at the same time as you had the Metoclopramide injection?Nicola

Rob was given metaclopromide several times in hospital (he was there for about 10 days), and then when he came home we had to continue with Maxalon (as well as three other medications :roll: )

I found this website about herbs and rabbits quite interesting, especially since Robbie and Molly love their herbs :)

http://www.healthypetcorner.com/rabbit.html

I will def have a look at that site, thanku. I have just spoken to the vets and they want to see her again so we are going down at 3pm. Hopefully they will give her another jab which will this time work!!! Fingers crossed.

Nicola

Back