• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

potty training...

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
I have a few questions potty training. Even though I have already had two litter trained rabbits, they kind of taught themselves. I'm just wondering, is it an age thing? Because my rabbits were rather messy until they got a little older, they they always went strait for the litter box.
Now, my new blaise is a messy little thing! He is about 10 weeks old and I just got him about a week ago. I was just wondering if I should start training now, wait for when he is older, or let him kind of teach himself?

Thanks for reading!

Is he an indoor or outdoor bunny?
Mine was indoor and i had him from 10weeks and started litter training him from then. I just placed it where he did his pee.. put paper in it to begin with and if he missed i wiped some up with tissue and put that in the tray.. any stray poops got swept up and put in there too.. He was good with wee early but poops took a bit longer. He took quite a bit longer to be tidy in his cage even tho he had the same type of litter tray in there but he always preferred to squirt all over his hay/straw instead :? Good luck :D

I would start litter training straight away if he is an indoor bunster. You don't really need to train them anything as they do actually teach themselves!! Put down the litter tray wherever he most likes to wee - you will find he starts using the tray instead. Poopies are harder...scoop them up as you find them and put them into the litter tray. he will pick up on you doing this until he realises "ah thats what mummy wants..". :D

Introducing a new bunny to the resident house bunnies means you will have a time of re-marking territory with scattered poos and some peeing (at least mine do) but it should calm down and stop soon. At least thats whatn I'm hoping at hte mo!! :roll: :lol:

Yes, of course he is a indoor bunny! I have the litter box where he usually likes to pee, but sometimes he changes corners of the cage. I have just started scooping up the poop and putting it in the litter box instead of vacuuming it up, so I hope it works! Thanks for the quick help!

No probs matey :wink: I'm going through potty training with Bridget at the mo as she was a hutch-bound bunny for two years the poor mite. She has started peeing in the litter tray but still likes to do the odd marking pee to annoy Darcy!! :roll: Ahh the joys of buns!! :lol: :lol: :lol: xxxx

Romy, you are such a good house bunny bunster do you mind if I push people to your threads please sweetie? I have had a 'phone call from someone who may become one of us and I am frightened I might miss something important. Thanks alice

Back