• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Human bunny bonding

Hey everyone,

I get put on quite a lot of the bunny cases at work, to talk to the owners with regards to feeding, bedding, etc.

A lot of them tell me "I thought a rabbit would be cuddly but it's not so it ends up sitting in its hutch all day coz it hates me". Now, I'm sure the bunny doesn't hate them, but there's just not a big bunny-human bond. I've noticed that a lot of people on this forum have really great, close relationships with their buns.

I don't feel I can answer these clients' questions, nor give any advice, as I have to admit that my girls aren't overly keen on me, either. They let me rub the tops of their heads *sometimes* and are never aggressive, but they don't ask for cuddles, either.

99% of these rabbits are adults, past the stage of being able to impression them into being good with humans. But I'd like to ask you all for tips I could possibly tell the clients?

Okay, here are some of my own thoughts/tips. I don't claim to be an expert at this but just from my own experience of having had two rabbits so far (soon to be three!). These are all really for house bunnies as well (never had an outside bunny).

The first and foremost thing I would tell them is that as Rabbits are prey animals they are very nervy little petals and need to be given time to trust you.

1. Rabbits, just like all other animals and humans, have their own personalities and so some will love and crave lots of attention and affection and others will look at you like your crazy old aunt that smells of mothballs whose taken her false teeth out and can't wait to give you a big wet kiss on the cheek :shock: and run like mad in the opposite direction!! :shock: :lol: :lol:

2. Take it very very slowly. Build the trust up slowly. Firstly sit on the floor lots just reading your book or watching tv etc. Let the rabbit come to you. He/she will as they are so nosey and love to play. Have a treat like celery or something to hand to tempt them and just let them eat it out of your hand without you grabbit at it for a cuddle. This way they learn that its nice and safe to be with you and associate nice things with you.

3. If the bun is ignoring you, ignore the rabbit back. It never fails. Sit on the floor reading book (as above) rabbits can't stand being ignored if you are doing something they can't see. They will come over to you for nose quick sharpish!! :roll: :lol: :lol:

4. Some rabbits will never like being picked up to be cuddled. Being picked up is the action of an attacker so its very scarey. Darcy loves to be picked up and cuddled but he gets nervy if I walk around with him which is understandable.

5. Spend as much time with the rabbit as you can. The more time you spend the better. If you only spend 30 mins with it a day or every now and then don't expect him/her to be thrilled at suddenly being picked up like a toy. Make the rabbit part of your family - let it spend time with you every night (if you can).

6. Talk to your rabbit!! Rabbits love hearing us talk - even if you're talking on the phone to you mates - the rabbit doesn't realise this and is in ecstascy just having that attention thinking your talking to him/her.

7. Try and talk rabbit! Lie on the floor facing your bunny. Try twitching your nose in rythm with his nose...he will realise that you are copying him and slow/fast up!! Its really funny!! This is talking rabbit with him!! They love it!! Even if they are just laughing at us!! :lol:

I'll think of some in a bit.....hope this helps!! xxxx

Thats great advice Romy :D Cant think of much else to add really. I did the sit on floor thing alot. Havent done the twitchy nose thing yet tho.. dont think i can twitch mine fast enough lol

Like with any animal (humans included!!) it takes time to build up a relationship ……..the word cuddly bothers me a bit as it suggests that they are constantly picking up the bun which is not exactly the best way to gain a bun’s confidence.

A way that usually works with bun/human bonding is to spend some time (15 - 30 mins - 3 or 4 times a week on a one to one basis …… a hallway works well for this as it is easier to control the distractions ……at least in beginning it is a good idea to have a nest box/ cardboard box/ travel crate for the bun to go where he won’t be bothered by the human if it gets too much for him ……..bunny toys ….hay and veg/herb favourites are also important but the basic idea is just to lie on the floor and let the bun explore you … if the bun is affectionate you can return it but if the bun is shy just lie still and over time his confidence will increase.

P.S. I’m really jealous as I really want to study to be a VN but so far I haven’t been accepted …as I’ve passed 30 they’re bound to think that I’m over the hill ……..how’s it going for you???????

Sugar, will have to learn to type faster as you both beat me to it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ...hopefully it means that there must be at least some truth in what we've said :wink: :lol: :lol:

Like the nose twitching thing Romy ...... works with dogs too, if you yawn and generallly move your mouth when they do it really freaks them out
!!!!!!!

Yep I ditto everything already said here - specially the brill details from Romy but I think one of the most apt things I have every learned from the bunsters I have is:-

There is always an exception to the rule but generally I personally feel you will normally only get out of a relationship with a bunny what you are prepared to put in - Give Lots and normally - you will receive loads in return.

Also - good to learn "Bunny Speak" - there are loads of really good websites that will help you learn what you can be looking for - the Ebony Eyes Website has some brill tips on how you can look for the subtle little signs that will tell you your Bunster just loves adores you.

conny said:
Sugar, will have to learn to type faster as you both beat me to it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ...hopefully it means that there must be at least some truth in what we've said :wink: :lol: :lol:

Like the nose twitching thing Romy ...... works with dogs too, if you yawn and generallly move your mouth when they do it really freaks them out
!!!!!!!

ingnore my rabbling message!! removed!

bunnylove said:
conny said:

!!!!!!!

dont say that diddeen, i was gona study to do that when my daughter starts school full time, am i really passed it, maybe i sahould just get some more buns to cheer me up :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:

eh? wassup eve?

Diddeen said:
bunnylove said:
conny said:

!!!!!!!

dont say that diddeen, i was gona study to do that when my daughter starts school full time, am i really passed it, maybe i sahould just get some more buns to cheer me up :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:

eh? wassup eve?

oh sorry diddeen brain could not have been working last night, wrong quote, and i ment conny. :shock: :? :? must have been the trashy film i went to see at the cinema too see last night pure nastiness!!!

conny said:
P.S. I’m really jealous as I really want to study to be a VN but so far I haven’t been accepted …as I’ve passed 30 they’re bound to think that I’m over the hill ……..how’s it going for you???????

Conny / Bunnylove :
I started training to be a Vet Nurse at the age of 35 and I am now fully qualified. Despite the national shortage of qualified VNs, it is very difficult to find a Practice willing to train anyone over the age of 21 (I think mainly due to receiving funding for training). The veterinary charity PDSA (People's Dispensary for Sick Animals) is your best bet, since I trained with them and still work for them:
http://www.pdsa.org.uk/pages/index.cfm

bunnynurse said:
conny said:

Conny / Bunnylove :
I started training to be a Vet Nurse at the age of 35 and I am now fully qualified. Despite the national shortage of qualified VNs, it is very difficult to find a Practice willing to train anyone over the age of 21 (I think mainly due to receiving funding for training). The veterinary charity PDSA (People's Dispensary for Sick Animals) is your best bet, since I trained with them and still work for them:
http://www.pdsa.org.uk/pages/index.cfm

thanks bunnynurse!!! maybe there is hope for me yet!!! :lol:

My best mate has just qualified as a VN in twickenham, london. The practice she found trained her. She turns 30 this year and this was always her dream :D

Maaike_Butter said:
Hey everyone,

99% of these rabbits are adults, past the stage of being able to impression them into being good with humans.

Not necessarily. I've made enormous progress with Rosie who was 2 when we got her and had a really chronic fear of hands and being stroked. She's still not happy being picked up but in the last year she's made a huge improvement. She comes up for head rubs and loves being stroked.

I guess what I'm saying is that there's no age past which a rabbit can't become good with people. It just takes work and commitment which a lot of rabbit owners won't be willing to give.

The PDSA is wonderful. They're my foster practice and I love them!

We've got several women nearing 30 on the course at the moment, and one in her mid-40s! It's never too late!

Back