• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weight loss

RussAb

Young Bun
Some of you might remember one of my bunnies, Abbie, isn't all that well (this is what's wrong with her http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3025 ).

After ruling out a lot of things, we've now also ruled out a bladder stone so we're still none-the-wiser. But the vet mentioned on several occasions she's losing weight - he actually said there's not much more to her than bones now :( . She was a skinny bunny to start with and for her to be losing more weight can't be a good sign. She's had a comprehensive blood test done which we'll get the results from soon, but I thought I'd ask you folks what might be causing her to lose weight.

It was a bit of a strange thing to hear from the vet as she's a very energetic bunny and, when well, shows absolutely no signs that anything's wrong with her. She gets these sudden bouts of whatever it is, then they go away and she's back to her normal self.

And can anyone recommend a good way to help her put some weight back on? She currently gets a few pellets twice a day, and lots of hay and grass.

Cheers

Russ

So sorry I can't offer any advice about Abbie but I know loads will be able to help. Just want to say I hope she gets on a bit of weight :love:

Hiya Russ - Yep I remember the original topic re little Abbie - and I'm sorry to hear that she's still not herself.

Weight Loss can be attributed to so many things and hopefully the bloodtest might help but even these can prove inconclusive as to actual cause.

What diet has your Vet recommended for her? - We had a similar problem with Buffy 12 months ago and she lost an awful lot of weight - she almost had a kinda spare tyre around her bottom where all the weight had slipped which was real sad to see as she had always been a lovely looking bunny - but now after 12 months of hard work with her diet which has been strictly kept to she is back to her normal self - we have our suspicions as to what might have caused the initial weight loss but nothing concrete!!

Keep us posted re the test results and sending a snuggle to your girlie.

Best of luck finding out what's wrong with Abbie. It depends what's causing the weight loss, but a dessertspoon of organic jumbo oats each day might help her put a bit back on.

My poor bun splats has been ill lately too and had lost quite a bit of weight...at present he is not that keen on his pellets but is very keen on his veg......so I am feeding him ad lib on a mixture of veg/fruit (he is going crazy for his veg at the mo as soon as I open the fridge he comes running and then stands by my feet while I am chopping it up)..small amount of oats each day and the odd bit of wholemeal toast. As well as a supply of hay and some grass.

I think you just need to go with what your bunny likes and make sure there is always a good selection available for them to choose from... Hope your bun is back to full health soon.

Sorry to hear she's no better, perhaps when the blood results come back they hopefully will shed a little more light. Keep us posted.

Thanks everyone for the advice and best wishes.

The confusing part about this is she isn't in the slightest bit off her food. If anything she'll gobble anything I put in front of her. We keep her food in a airtight container on the floor - when I go into it to get their pellets she literally jumps into the box and tucks into the big bag of pellets! They both go mental now at feeding time, moreso than before their diet change, so I do wonder if I'm starving them a bit. But they do have constant access to hay and grass and don't seem to mind munching away at it, albeit that their preference seems to be pellets and veggies.

I think part of it is that we changed their diet as soon as this cropped up, to reduce their pellets and up their hay/grass, thinking at the time it was a diet related condition that she has, but it isn't. I hadn't got around to thinking about whether to put her back on her old diet, which included veggies. I was tempted not to as she seemed to enjoy the grass and hay.

I'll keep everyone posted as to the blood test results. Sounds like they've tested for just about everything (you'd hope so for £80! Good job the little rascals are worth it :wink: :D ) so if there is summat wrong this should pick it up.

Sorry to hear this and will be interested to see what the blood tests reveal. Molly has also lost weight and eats like a trooper - I have failed miserably to get her to put weight on despite trying oats etc. so will watch this thread avidly to see if any ideas work. Good luck with Abbie.

Hiya, Baby food is a good way of adding weight to a thin rabbit, as are oats.

For underweight bunnies (only)
give 1 dessert spoon oats twice a day (no more, else they may have constipation)
and a third of a jar of carrot and potato food Daily, but split into TWO feeds
Pop the baby food on top of the oats, and keep the baby food for three days maximum in the fridge.
You can warm it slightly before feeding to the bunny though.

Back