• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alfred - sadly passed

Sending more hugs. Sorry you could not bury Alfred where you wanted; yet I am sure you will find a way to make his resting place special.
Sending you lots of vibes.

I don’t think losing a Rabbit ever gets less painful, regardless of how many losses we experience. A few years ago I lost 11 in 6 weeks. All due to different reasons. Some expected, some not.It was like being run over by a truck again and again until in the end I thought ‘why bother getting up’. But then I would look at the Rabbits I still had and they answered my question.

Sometimes we will never be able to understand ‘why’, even if we keep trying to do so. With Alfred I think you can be certain that you and Jan could not have done more. Any mistakes were, in my opinion, made by the Professionals. Of course everyone is human and makes mistakes. I am sure the Vets involved with Alfred’s care were very upset that he passed away. Hopefully they will be asking themselves if they could have done things differently. Lack of Rabbit Knowledge does not always equate to lack of care. If they learn from what has happened then that is at least a positive in what has been a truly awful situation.

I think this quote speaks volumes about what being Pet care givers means

UE5eiLb.jpg

Last edited:
Grief is just love. And the love you have for your furry family has always been clear to see. Your added complication is that you cannot make sense if it, so you have that stuckness. This is very very early days. All you can do right now is focus on each moment and get through it. Your brain won’t be able to think or function to make meaning, either, because you’re, quite clearly, in shock.

One moment at a time- that’s all you can do right now. One moment at a time.

Back