Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first two house bunnies

Default My first two house bunnies

I found some old bunny photos from before I had a digital camera, so I thought I'd introduce you all to my first two sort-of-house bunnies. This was when I was 13, so in 2001, maybe 2002. We had had bunnies outside when I was little, but we hadn't had any for several years now, and I'd been doing lots of research and wanted to adopt a house bunny (preferably two). There were no rescues anywhere around here, though, and my dad thought it was ridiculous to drive several hours to a rescue for 'just a rabbit', so he eventually took me to a pet shop and I chose a bunny there. At least it was a decent shop, and the bunnies were vaccinated and a reasonable age. I thought long and hard about the name and eventually decided to call him... Bugs. After Bugs Bunny, yes. Very original, I know. Teen me was not great with bunny names.

He started out in a cage in the living room, but soon after moved into my bedroom, where he enjoyed my bed, as you can see.

We got Bugs neutered, and I decided it was time for him to have a friend. I wanted to adopt a girl bunny and had made an appointment at a rescue a few hours away from here. My mum would drive me there, but then she was sick on the day of the appointment, and you know what my dad thought about driving several hours to get a rabbit...

So, I cancelled the appointment, and then, without my knowing, my dad went to a garden centre and bought a baby bunny boy. He was very young, covered in fleas, and he had diarrhoea, and I was very angry at the garden centre. He recovered, though. I named him Silly (told you teen me was bad at names, poor boy), though I usually just called him Sil.

He and Bugs got along great, until, of course, Sil got hormonal... We got him neutered, and he and Bugs became good friends again. Then my mermory gets very fuzzy, because for some reason Bugs and Sil moved outside and I can't at all remember why, because I really enjoyed having them indoors and can't imagine why I would make the decision to move them into the garden where I'd see them less. I really don't understand why this happened? Maybe it was my parents' decision, I'm not sure. I hope they were happy outside, but I do wish I had kept them indoors so I could've had more contact with them.

(Pronouns: he or they)

It was nice reading about your first bunnies Sil was such a cutie, i really love that photo of them on the bench. Interesting how much Bugs facial markings change in colour (you're right - names weren't the most inspired )

They did look happy

Aww thanks for sharing your photos, I really enjoyed reading about your lovely boys. It's nice to hear how about others got into bunniness
    Last edited by Pets mum; 25-02-2022 at 07:21 PM.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Wise Old Thumper InspectorMorse's Avatar

They were lovely

Dignity in Dying should be a Human Right
    https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

They are so beautiful, may they rest in peace xxxxxxx

Wise Old Thumper

What beautiful Bunnies

Bugs and Sil are very cute. They were lucky to go to a good home. I think it was fate that intervenes day your mom got sick, as Sil needed rescue to a good life with you and Bugs.
    My first bunny was named bun-bun, so not very creative.

Warren Scout

What cuties

Aww, thank you for looking everyone, and for your nice comments about Bugs and Sil. They were both very sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    It was nice reading about your first bunnies Sil was such a cutie, i really love that photo of them on the bench. Interesting how much Bugs facial markings change in colour (you're right - names weren't the most inspired )

They did look happy
    I know.

Yeah, Sil was really cute. He's actually the only lop bunny I've had! Bugs' facial markings did change a lot over the seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    Bugs and Sil are very cute. They were lucky to go to a good home. I think it was fate that intervenes day your mom got sick, as Sil needed rescue to a good life with you and Bugs.
    My first bunny was named bun-bun, so not very creative.
    Ooh, I'd never thought about it that way, that Sil needed to be rescued from that garden centre... You're right, he did.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who wasn't very creative with bunny names.
    (Pronouns: he or they)