• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ptyalism

Fish smell is bacterial infection and a bad one.

The most important is to treat the cause and make the salvating stop.
She will most likely need antibiotics and pain meds both maximum dosage every 12 hours, for longer period of time. Skin infections are a b*tch! I have manny micro towels (for dogs mostly), but they work superb for any animal. Pat dry.
I had to wash infected are with antiseptic shampoo 2x per day and then I had to used soothing cream that sooths itching, promotes healing, moistens the skin oh and honey based cream for wounds. PLUS he had a hard time chewing-dry herbs, critical care and fresh veggies.

So, Bungee has an appointment at Cambridge Vet Group on Tuesday. Hopefully to stay for her operation, as we don't want to stress her by taking her backwards and forwards.
She's doing a bit of tooth grinding today, so have just given her some Metcam which will hopefully help. I've also dried her chin and neck as best as I can, and put a little sudocreme on any sore bits.
Could anyone recommend an antibacterial shampoo suitable for bunnies as AnjaSanja has suggested? I don't know if she would tolerate it, but it might be worth a try.
She is still eating her pellets and veg, but not hay so I am giving recovery and fibreplex too, and she is still enjoying the odd treat.
Thank you InspectorMorse I will definitely speak to the vet about the possible pseudomonas.
poor Bungee. It's her birthday on Sunday too :cry:

So, Bungee has an appointment at Cambridge Vet Group on Tuesday. Hopefully to stay for her operation, as we don't want to stress her by taking her backwards and forwards.
She's doing a bit of tooth grinding today, so have just given her some Metcam which will hopefully help. I've also dried her chin and neck as best as I can, and put a little sudocreme on any sore bits.
Could anyone recommend an antibacterial shampoo suitable for bunnies as AnjaSanja has suggested? I don't know if she would tolerate it, but it might be worth a try.
She is still eating her pellets and veg, but not hay so I am giving recovery and fibreplex too, and she is still enjoying the odd treat.
Thank you InspectorMorse I will definitely speak to the vet about the possible pseudomonas.
poor Bungee. It's her birthday on Sunday too :cry:

Keep us updated on how sweet Bungee gets on. I really hope she has a comfortable stay and can get her eye sorted with an easy recovery. Will be sending you both lots of vibes x

Thank you so much I'll let you know how things go.
She's been really good taking her Fibreplex and still eating her veggies. I think she's still struggling with hay, so I may try her with a little bit of grass tomorrow. Xxx

We dropped Bungee off at Cambridge vets yesterday morning, with her packed lunch.
Vet has called this morning, and he has taken xrays of her chest and everything looks okay.
So, he is operating today to remove the mass in her mouth. Should hear back from them this afternoon.
Please keep your paws crossed for her xxx

Thank you for all your messages. She doing okay. Happily eating veggies, but no hay or pellets yet so topping her up with fibreplex and I'm going to try some syringe feeding now.

It was a pretty big op and the vet has actually removed half of her mouth pallet to remove the lump. He was very surprised when she started eating as soon as she woke up!

They are sending the lump off to be tested and we should have the results in a week. It looks like it was a malignant melanoma, so the tests will tell us if it's likely to grow back or not.

We go back next Wednesday for him to see how things are healing.

Back