Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happens to rabbits with chronic snuffles?

Quote Originally Posted by smudgeandb View Post
    Hi all,

First-time poster and first-time forum user so bear with me!

My free-roam house buns have suffered from bouts of snuffles since I got them in April 2021. We have tried Baytril, Tiacil, Marbocyl and Azithromycin - none of which have managed to eliminate the infection. My vet tells me there are no other treatments left to try.

Instead, I'm managing their condition by using an open litter box with paper bedding, avoiding scented products, using an air purifier and humidifier, supplementing their diet with vitamin C and providing enrichment (stacking cups etc).

When reading about snuffles, many websites say that 'lifelong treatment' could be required. But what does this entail? How will it be treated lifelong? What happens when the last line of treatment fails?

If anyone here has a rabbit with a chronic infection, could you share your experiences with me? I really have no idea what will happen to them and being unable to help is breaking my heart.
    Hi. We've had a lot of trouble with this with our little Tigger going back to March, which if you like you can read about here...http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ghlight=tigger

Can I just ask what your bunnies' snuffly symptoms are? Tigger still has the odd day or two of snuffly noises when eating/grooming now and then.

We've got a nebulizer. When we were using it we'd sit him in his carry box with a towel round the sides and back to cover the vents, and then hooked the breathing tube onto the front grill. He tolerated it pretty well for the most part. We've not used it though since the vet advised us to stop and see how he got on without it. We asked about a mucolytic on advice from here, but the vet said it was a bit "old hat" and saline would be as good as anything - not that we ever got round to using any. We had been using F10.

I hope your bunnies are ok.

Just a heads up, I found in the past that moulting can bring on a bout, as that's when their immune system is more vunerable and lower, so regular brushing out of loose fur can be helpful too.
    Every Bun deserves some love, no matter what their breed, colour or background

Quote Originally Posted by bunniemum View Post
    Just a heads up, I found in the past that moulting can bring on a bout, as that's when their immune system is more vunerable and lower, so regular brushing out of loose fur can be helpful too.
    This is something we'd wondered too. Not so much their immune system (though we'll bear that in mind), but all the fine fur etc which might get up his nose and cause sneezes. It's made us more vigilant with the hoover and using lint rollers to try and keep any loose hair to a minimum.

After a prolonged process of elimination, we started to notice a pattern corresponding with the weather - in particular period of low pressure.