• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chronic liver failure, snuffles, dental problems and E.C

Thanks both. Is there anything I should be mentioning medication/treatment/diagnosis wise tomorrow?

I have been watching him today and it's not too bad, seems to be that he loses his balance when he leans towards me with his good ear :(

Thanks both. Is there anything I should be mentioning medication/treatment/diagnosis wise tomorrow?

I have been watching him today and it's not too bad, seems to be that he loses his balance when he leans towards me with his good ear :(

I think I would want to continue with the Septrin and the supportive care until the Vet has the results of his next blood test. Is the test due tomorrow ?

Yes definitely. She won't repeat the blood test until a week tomorrow, she said she wanted to leave a few weeks in between tests to ensure time is given for changes to show.

As far as the balance issues go...what do you suggest? Is there anything I can do?

Yes definitely. She won't repeat the blood test until a week tomorrow, she said she wanted to leave a few weeks in between tests to ensure time is given for changes to show.

As far as the balance issues go...what do you suggest? Is there anything I can do?

You could ask the Vet about giving him Procloperazine which may help reduce any dizziness, but the Vet is probably likely to be reluctant to do so due to his Liver problems.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Procloperazine.htm

Is there any way of the vet determining if the balance is caused by an inner ear infection, part from via an xray?

He has never experienced this symptom with his EC before, he has been suffering with it for well over a year.

Is there any way of the vet determining if the balance is caused by an inner ear infection, part from via an xray?

He has never experienced this symptom with his EC before, he has been suffering with it for well over a year.

A middle ear/inner ear infection/abscess cant be totally excluded without a skull Xray or preferably a CT scan. Treatment for the loss of balance symptoms that can occur in both disease processes may include Procloperazine. But as I mentioned before the Vet may feel that it is not appropriate to prescribe it due to your Rabbit's Liver problems.

Unfortunately neurological symptoms can occur when the Liver is failing. So the Vet may want to have a rethink about when to do the next blood test. As your Rabbit is seeming to still be quite bright within himself then I doubt the neurological symptoms are related to Liver disease, I think he would be a lot more poorly within himself if that were to be the case.

Thank you for your reply jane.

Does a ct scan have to be completed under anaesthetic?

I'm guessing treatment for an ear infection would be antibiotics similar to what he is on now (septrin)?

Sitting here watching him eat now, his appetite is probably better than it has been and he is even more lively, which is ridiculous as he isn't well :(

I'm guessing treatment for an ear infection would be antibiotics similar to what he is on now (septrin)?

Sitting here watching him eat now, his appetite is probably better than it has been and he is even more lively, which is ridiculous as he isn't well :(

Here's a bit more information about what an X-Ray and CT scan can provide.

http://www.petmd.com/rabbit/conditions/ears/c_rb_otitis_media_interna

Diagnosis of ear disease/problems isn't always conclusive, but it's certainly worth doing what you can to find out the cause of the loss of balance.

I have had rabbits with severe problems with their ears and it cause no loss of balance. Talk through all the options with your vet, and especially the results of any blood tests.

Thank you for your reply jane.

It does, yes. Treatment for ear disease can include surgery, but not always. It totally depends on the exact situation for the individual Rabbit. Longterm antibiotics can 'hold' the disease process even if it is not totally cured. Morse had severe ear disease and surgery was not an option for him as he also had heart disease. He struggled under GA and me and the Vets felt that he would be unlikely to survive the much longer GA needed for more extensive surgery (total ear canal resection and ablation). Morse's ear disease was kept under control with systemic and topical abx for at least 2 years. In the end it was not ear disease that took him, it was cancer (abdominal tumour)

So it may be that your Bun can be treated in a non invasive (non surgical) way. It sounds as though he may already be benefiting from the septrin. Often abx treatment needs to be ongoing for several months. So try to hold on to the hope that things can be stabilised for your Rabbit, even if he is not able to cope with diagnostics such as CT scans or surgery.

Good luck for the appointment today xx

Quick update on Ben..He seems to be doing well at the moment. Lots of energy, big appetite nd still seems happy within himself.

Vet put him back on to panacur, which seems to have sorted out the problems with his balance (touch wood).

We are back to the vets on Friday to have his bloods repeated, hoping and praying the results are lower than before!!

Quick update on Ben..He seems to be doing well at the moment. Lots of energy, big appetite nd still seems happy within himself.

Vet put him back on to panacur, which seems to have sorted out the problems with his balance (touch wood).

We are back to the vets on Friday to have his bloods repeated, hoping and praying the results are lower than before!!

Aww that's great to hear! He's obviously a little fighter.

Well done Ben Bunny :love:

Wonderful news :thumb:

I'm always surprised (and impressed) when Panacur works fast to help balance problems ...

Thank you all for the kind words :love:

I think my Vet wants him to stay on panacur long term now.

Fingers crossed he carrys on fighting x

Back