• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can I put weight on my girl?

MiniC

Wise Old Thumper
Poppy's vet was said they were concerned her back teeth were a bit long about 8 weeks ago. I dutifully reduced pellets a bit, to encourage more hay eating. She was also bonded back in with Billy though, and he was humping her a lot, so between that and the fewer pellets, she lost 350g by her next vet visit 4 weeks later (normal weight is 2.3kg) and the vet told us to increase her food for a couple of weeks.

I've increased pellets back to normal, and been giving her some extra treats/fruit/pellets on top of that, but in 3 weeks, I've only managed to put 50g back on her. I don't want to keep this up, because it'll see-saw back to teeth problems.

How else can I get her weight up?

What pellets do you feed ? Pellets made for growing Rabbits contain more protein than those made for adult Rabbits. Weight gain is best achieved by increasing the protein rather than adding extra carbs. Readigrass is good too if she would eat it. Some Breeders feed Barley rings to a Rabbit that has lost condition, might be worth a try.

You're right though, I think everything I've gone for has been carby.

We feed the science selective ones normally:

https://supremepetfoods.com/products/selective-naturals-grain-free-rabbit-food/ (grain free because of partner's coeliac disease, not because we're worried about grains).

A family member gave them some muesli mix at Christmas, that was sat in a box gathering dust, and I've been giving her a little of that too, but that will also just be sugar for a bunny.

I'll get some Barley rings at the weekend :)

What does a vet say? Brko put back weight with Science Selective Grainfree 25g/1kg, so I gave him 32g for his ideal 1.3 kg. And hay, veggies. After dental work he eats normal. And some oat stalks with seeds.

Our bunnies were getting around 2 egg cups of pellets each per day - I think it worked out at 40g each? It was the level that I found helped maintain their weight well but kept them eating enough hay to keep their teeth in check.

I'd reduced by around a third for 4 weeks though, when the vet said Poppy's back teeth looked a little long, and that's when the weight loss happened.

The vet said to sneak her an extra table spoon a day of pellets for a couple of weeks, but I also decided to increase pellets back to previous levels in addition to this, as they'd held their weight so well at that level before. I'm thinking about calling the vet again though, as her weight is going up so slowly. She's still down around 300g and quite boney.

Back