• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit weighing scales.

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Hello,

I want to buy some weighing scales for my teeny bunnies, so I can monitor their weight.

It needs to be something flat, that i can hide under a towel and trick them into sitting on with some treats. Hahaha. There's no way my fidget buns will sit in anything with sloped sides.

Any recommendations?

Which one? I read a few reviews and they said they were inaccurate. [emoji852]

Bauer Germany BY80. It is accurate enough to verify my dental bunny, Raven is maintaining his weight, and to check others are not overeating. During covid I was able to tell the vet an accurate weight on young/growing bunny for dosing medicine too.

The surface you put it on can make most scales more or less accurate, so I try to use in same spot bunny weighed last time.

Last edited:
I use a very cheap (flat, glass type similar to AnjaSanja's) digital kitchen scale for smaller furries (ie guinea pigs & around 1kg bunnies) - it was about £8 from B&M / The Range. It's ok for the small bunnies once they get used to it, but it's too small a surface for anything over about 1.5kg to sit on. The other issue is that you still need to be able to see the digital display. Hiding the scales completely under a towel will give a false reading - and you won't be able to see it anyway. You could use something like a facecloth to give extra grip for the bunnies, but you would have to re-zero it or subtract the weight of the cloth.

If you have an open top carrier or cardboard box, you may be able to put the scales inside it and then put bunny on the scales (so they can't hop away as much), rather than putting a smaller container on top of the scales.

I use a very cheap (flat, glass type similar to AnjaSanja's) digital kitchen scale for smaller furries (ie guinea pigs & around 1kg bunnies) - it was about £8 from B&M / The Range. It's ok for the small bunnies once they get used to it, but it's too small a surface for anything over about 1.5kg to sit on. The other issue is that you still need to be able to see the digital display. Hiding the scales completely under a towel will give a false reading - and you won't be able to see it anyway. You could use something like a facecloth to give extra grip for the bunnies, but you would have to re-zero it or subtract the weight of the cloth.

If you have an open top carrier or cardboard box, you may be able to put the scales inside it and then put bunny on the scales (so they can't hop away as much), rather than putting a smaller container on top of the scales.
Yeah thats what I have already, but its the same size as them, so its hard to get them to sit totally on it. Needs to be larger I think.

They launch themselves out of a open box. They are like kangeroos/tasmanian devil's. Hahaha

i put a hand towel on the baby scale and put it on the bathroom floor with door closed and toilet lid down. Digital scale does not need much time to register and holds weight for short time after bunny hops off. I often weigh a second time if stomping or wriggling and usually both same. You can purchase more accurate hospital grade scales too , so perhaps ask your vet level of accuracy they recommend.

i put a hand towel on the baby scale and put it on the bathroom floor with door closed and toilet lid down. Digital scale does not need much time to register and holds weight for short time after bunny hops off. I often weigh a second time if stomping or wriggling and usually both same. You can purchase more accurate hospital grade scales too , so perhaps ask your vet level of accuracy they recommend.
OK. Sounds worth a go.... Will have to wait fir the weather too cool down. Its way too hot for rabbit chasing

Sorry to disappoint with no video. But just attempted weighing number 1.

Managed to place their fav blanket over the scales and zero it. Lured them both with chicory root. Archie hopped on straight away cos he's not very smart. It never stopped moving but he's around 1.1kg.

Pip is too smart, so kept stretching her neck to reach the treats, hahaha. Eventually after many many treats and us coaxing her bottom and back feet on. We got a rough reading of 1.3kg.

Not sure how accurate it is, but gives me an idea I'm not starving them, with them having no pellets at the moment. I know Pip is normally 1.2kg at the vets, but Archie has always been under 1kg, until we let them go free range. I think he but up lots of muscle from his stair escapades! So will need to check with the vet what he was on his last visit there.

Sorry to disappoint with no video. But just attempted weighing number 1.

Managed to place their fav blanket over the scales and zero it. Lured them both with chicory root. Archie hopped on straight away cos he's not very smart. It never stopped moving but he's around 1.1kg.

Pip is too smart, so kept stretching her neck to reach the treats, hahaha. Eventually after many many treats and us coaxing her bottom and back feet on. We got a rough reading of 1.3kg.

Not sure how accurate it is, but gives me an idea I'm not starving them, with them having no pellets at the moment. I know Pip is normally 1.2kg at the vets, but Archie has always been under 1kg, until we let them go free range. I think he but up lots of muscle from his stair escapades! So will need to check with the vet what he was on his last visit there.

My shiny black ND Raven is usually between 1.1 and 1.2kg, Most of my past ND's were a little heavier than Raven. Your Archie sure can fly through the air when he gets going, so I know he must be muscular. I would not want to have to catch him, so glad he cooperated with weigh in. Pip sounds very smart.
If you want to see how your scale compares to vets weigh them at home before/after next vet visit.

Last edited:
My shiny black ND Raven is usually between 1.1 and 1.2kg, Most of my past ND's were a little heavier than Raven. Your Archie sure can fly through the air when he gets going, so I know he must be muscular. I would not want to have to catch him, so glad he cooperated with weigh in. Pip sounds very smart.
If you want to see how your scale compares to vets weigh them at home before/after next vet visit.
Yes thats a great idea. I will try that on my next vet visit.

Yeah catching Archie is very difficult. Imagine a tasmanian devil in the cutest little body. Although he would never bite me.

Yes thats a great idea. I will try that on my next vet visit.

Yeah catching Archie is very difficult. Imagine a tasmanian devil in the cutest little body. Although he would never bite me.

Archie looks a lot like my bridge bunny Chinnie, so I am in full agreement on his cuteness. Pip is adorable too.
My Raven is easy to handle, yet he is very possessive of his poo/litterbox, so he charges at me if he sees me touching his stuff. Raven is a good boy with a little attitude.

Archie looks a lot like my bridge bunny Chinnie, so I am in full agreement on his cuteness. Pip is adorable too.
My Raven is easy to handle, yet he is very possessive of his poo/litterbox, so he charges at me if he sees me touching his stuff. Raven is a good boy with a little attitude.
[emoji33] naughty Raven. We don't get any charging here. But Pip is food possessive. She will bat my hand away with her paws if I try to remove food. Hahaha

Back