• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit food border in the shade

Moonstone

Warren Scout
I have a border next to the rabbit pen that's about to be dug over. I'd like to plant it with things the rabbits will like to eat and hopefully be able to reach some of for themselves. The difficulty is that it's in shade for most of the day. Also I can't have anything too tall as it's beneath our kitchen window.

Their diets already have a lot of dandelion and parsley.

If it could possibly look good with a light pink rose going up the wall that would be an extra bonus!

For longevity (mine are feedable til late winter ) I'd recommend geranium & lemonbalm - both cope with shade & apparently delicious

Deadnettles might be alright in the shade, they're mega prolific, as is the related hedge woundwort. Also great for bees. Geranium-related herb robert will grow anywhere in our garden, as will broadleaf plantain, wallflowers (OMG we've even got wallflowers down on the shelf right next to the canal water now :lol:), and dog violets. We've had luck with thyme and mint against our north facing house wall. Mint, hedge woundwort, dog violets and wallflowers are all so prolific they should be fine! The former spread by roots/rhizomes (as well as seed in the case of woundwort).

Wow, some great ideas there. I grew some lemon balm years back and they loved it but I'd forgotten about it. And I never realised they could eat wallflowers. I will look up the unfamiliar things. Thank you!! :love:

I didn't know they ate violets, I'm already growing some so will give it a try today. I guess they are also related to viola which can be prettier than pansies I think.

Goutweed, I thought :lol: What's that? Anyway, I know this as Ground Elder and I absolutely agree with you that it is loved by rabbits.

Back