• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Air coolers, recommendations please

Floppylop

Young Bun
Has anyone used a air cooler in their sheds etc, for the hot summer weather. I had thouhgt of a air con unit, but they are expensive to buy and run , so thought about and air cooler unit , which work with water (ice as well) evaporation to cool. Looking for recommendations ideas etc

I have a total cool - NOT the cheapest option by a long stretch, but it was really bought for my campervan so it is the only one that runs off the leisure battery without flattening it (because my dog comes everywhere with me). It is brilliant, but for a shed you can go cheaper. It is very effective, but it is what it is - it can only cool when there is air flow (so you need a window open) and it works by putting moisture into the air, so it won't cool in high humidity. In sunny Scotland it has worked really well, and made a huge difference - but it doesn't really cool the whole room very effectively, it cools what is in front of it. In the van I have it aimed into the crate, at home I have it aimed at the bed (not needed it for the rabbits so only canine and human testing!). So you need to consider where you will point it to make best use of it.

I haven't used one and I don;'t have power to the playhouse. I painted the playhouse white, insulated it and made sure the roof was 'insulated' with that radiator backing film with the silver bits facing outward. Playhouse is in the sun all morning, but they have a hutch next to the house (shady all day) if it gets too warm.

11187270_10101555092815328_1442330131889887957_o.jpg

1529707_10101363150703858_739690910978430219_o.jpg

167028644_10104193900927718_9159622852495349278_n.jpg

It's definitely cooler in there than esp. if we hadn't 'insulated-reflected' the roof!

Fortunately my garage is made of concrete insulation blocks, so if I keep the hot air out it does maintain a low temperature for some time, I also have a window with a special coating which lets in the light without heat, but I am aware that the new bunnies have long thick coats and may suffer if we get some of the very high temps we have, so hoping for a little back up with air cooing, previously I have added fans (which only circulate the same air) wet towels, etc etc, and they will be on the floor so maybe better as heat rises. Opening windows and doors is counter productive as the heat then enters the garage...

I really didn't rate the air cooler we bought a few years ago. It just made everything wet!

Actually, this issue is very important to me.I was thinking of starting a topic like this soon. Turkey is a hot country in summer. In summer, the weather is both over 30 degrees and 90 percent humid. How can I protect my bunny from the heat this summer?

Phew it must be hot and hard keeping bunnies cool in Turkey.
Slightly off topic from aircon but I've read that using tiles on the floor will keep bunnies cool as long as the tiles are out of direct sunlight. Maybe someone on this forum as found this works?

Phew it must be hot and hard keeping bunnies cool in Turkey.
Slightly off topic from aircon but I've read that using tiles on the floor will keep bunnies cool as long as the tiles are out of direct sunlight. Maybe someone on this forum as found this works?

Ooh, he's always lying on the tile right now. :lol: mMy whole house has parquet and tile floors. Both are cool. Thank you for this information. :)

Working from home, my door is open most of the day, I keep telling them, when they pop in, that there will be no posh hay or nibbles if they go near THAT wire...

THAT wire is the teeny tiny gap I have between the phone line and connector that I can't cover properly. They seem to home in on it!!!

Back