• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jasmine's gunky eye UD Final update 12/10

Thank you everyone for the support :love: The morning update from the nurse is that she's passed one pool of diarrhoea but is doing smaller, more formed poop and is eating bits on her own. I'll know more from the vet re if they managed to get bloods/medications after 11am from the vet update.

Thanks for the update Liz. I really hope that her bloods do not reveal anything too awful re her kidney and liver function. Lots more Jasmine shaped vibes being sent :love:

Thank you everyone for the support :love: The morning update from the nurse is that she's passed one pool of diarrhoea but is doing smaller, more formed poop and is eating bits on her own. I'll know more from the vet re if they managed to get bloods/medications after 11am from the vet update.
That sounds like a bit of improvement. Lots more vibes for Jasmine. I, too, hope the blood test results won't reveal anything very bad.

Just a quick reply, spoken to the original vet who has advised they've used Antirobe in the past no problems with rabbits, looked it up before hand and found it was ok and to use, and would do it again :cry: I've asked to be emailed a copy of where the information came from that said it can be used in rabbits, I've found nowhere that says it's safe. The data sheet, bsava manuals, Frances harcout-brown study etc so many resources but these don't seem to count?

Just a quick reply, spoken to the original vet who has advised they've used Antirobe in the past no problems with rabbits, looked it up before hand and found it was ok and to use, and would do it again :cry: I've asked to be emailed a copy of where the information came from that said it can be used in rabbits, I've found nowhere that says it's safe. The data sheet, bsava manuals, Frances harcout-brown study etc so many resources but these don't seem to count?
That's awful. How could they possibly have read somewhere that it's safe... And they would do so again, so they haven't learned anything from this. :cry: I'm really sorry you've had such a disappointing response from them. :(

Major back covering exercise. Would the Vet who is caring for Jasmine now support you with a Complaint ?

Sending lots of positive vibes she will continue to improve.

Thats disheartening that they don't even want to review their practice in the light of what happened to Jasmine.

One Christmas when FHB was off sick (& I was to stupid to realise other vets in the practice were savvy) I took Noodle to a local vet. She had an abscess in her jaw & was operated on & those beads inserted (the abscess wasn't cleanly removed either). I wasn't happy with other things but have no idea about the beads til I saw Frances when she was back. She had to write to the vet who had used them. She said its actually pretty common they are used despite being contra indicated- she blamed much of this on a photography competition in a vet journal magazine where the winning entry was a bunny recovered from dental abscess using said beads.

Topping up the vibes for beautiful Jasmine

Just had a call from the vets who are caring for her now, we're having to PTS. I'm gutted and so so angry. Her kidneys are in failure, she won't eat by herself, still diarrhoea and the skin over her eye had broken down. It's died and she's starting to loose the skin, the wound will be impossible to close. She can't maintenain her body temperature. We're giving 24 hours more, appt made for 6pm.tomorrow

Just had a call from the vets who are caring for her now, we're having to PTS. I'm gutted and so so angry. Her kidneys are in failure, she won't eat by herself, still diarrhoea and the skin over her eye had broken down. It's died and she's starting to loose the skin, the wound will be impossible to close. She can't maintenain her body temperature. We're giving 24 hours more, appt made for 6pm.tomorrow

Oh Liz this is absolutely awful :cry: I am so angry about what you and Jasmine have had to go through. The Vet who did the op’ MUST be held to account.

I am so very sorry :cry:

I'm heartbroken for you Liz, mad too. Its not fair their incompetence is costing your baby girls life :(

Sorry for rubbish replies, I'm at work and in absolute tears. I have received email from the vet which was used in reference, it's Canadian and advises clindamycin powder with saline can be put into open abscesses. It's in relation to jaw/dental abscess I believe. I don't think this one article can go against all others, and Jasmine did not have an abscess with capsule left behind to install this clindamycin into which I imagine would act as a barrier to help prevent it spreading elsewhere and affecting the gut? She had the eye and abscess removed, then the clindamycin capsule emptied in.

I'm am so, so incredibly sorry you're going to lose Jasmine because the vet didn't do their job right. :cry: That's absolutely terrible, and I really feel for you. You must be devastated... Poor Jasmine and you deserved so much better. :cry:

Sending you lots of hugs during this difficult time and hope she can still improve in 24 hours.

How old is the article you received?

Sorry for rubbish replies, I'm at work and in absolute tears. I have received email from the vet which was used in reference, it's Canadian and advises clindamycin powder with saline can be put into open abscesses. It's in relation to jaw/dental abscess I believe. I don't think this one article can go against all others, and Jasmine did not have an abscess with capsule left behind to install this clindamycin into which I imagine would act as a barrier to help prevent it spreading elsewhere and affecting the gut? She had the eye and abscess removed, then the clindamycin capsule emptied in.

If the abscess cannot drain in and if the Rabbit cannot lick the abscess then it *might* be OK. But putting it in an eye socket means that drainage into the sinuses and subsequent ingestion into the GI tract WILL happen. If Clindamycin gets ingested it is almost always fatal.

I would speak with the Vet who is caring for Jasmine now about where to go from here. It may be that he/she feels unable to get involved and if so I would go straight to the RCVS. https://www.rcvs.org.uk/concerns/im-an-animal-owner-and-i-want-to-raise-a-concern/
You are not going to get anywhere with the Practice where Jasmine had her op’. They clearly do not think they have done anything wrong, which is extremely worrying.

Thank you, I will reply probably once at home. The vets caring for Jasmine have said Antirobe is a definitely no in rabbits, and her prognosis therefore was very poor but they won't get involved with anything regarding the previous vet and why it was used. Which I completely understand, I think it's enough to see that she is being treated for antibiotic induced enterotoxemia and to go through the relevant channels through the RCVS. Despite how awful this has been ,I do honestly feel for the vet too, I'm angry but I'm of course the vet didn't set out to harm Jasmine and its upsetting but we strongly feel the Antirobe is the cause here.

Thank you, I will reply probably once at home. The vets caring for Jasmine have said Antirobe is a definitely no in rabbits, and her prognosis therefore was very poor but they won't get involved with anything regarding the previous vet and why it was used. Which I completely understand, I think it's enough to see that she is being treated for antibiotic induced enterotoxemia and to go through the relevant channels through the RCVS. Despite how awful this has been ,I do honestly feel for the vet too, I'm angry but I'm of course the vet didn't set out to harm Jasmine and its upsetting but we strongly feel the Antirobe is the cause here.

I am sure the Vet did not intend to cause harm. But sadly he/she has and the ‘best’ that can come out of this awful situation now is that he/she learns from the mistake and NEVER repeats it. That is the very least that you and Jasmine deserve.

Back