• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jasmine's gunky eye UD Final update 12/10

I don’t have any experience of pasturella so I can’t advise on that. But there’s no wonder you feel so sad :cry: you’ve had such a sad time lately :cry:

Sending hugs xx

My CX was a show bunny when I acquired him, and he appeared healthy when I got him-clean nose/paws, no sneezing, clear lungs. I had him for a few years before he alone showed symptoms. He lived for almost 13 years. He started to show symptoms when he was six and even though I had multiple bunnies he was the only one who symptoms of pasturella. He different antibiotics over the years, Baytril, Sulfa-Trim, AZithromycin. We also tried antibiotic eye drops (buffered so more gentle) in his nose which helped for a while. He eventually developed atropic rhinitis (I understand it is from the deterioration of the structures in the nose) which caused him to sneeze even when the pathogen was controlled.

IMO you should not limit your choice of companions for Jake. Many bunnies carry the pathogen with no symptoms so my suggestion is to obtain a healthy bunny who will be likely to fight any pathogens Jake may possess (along with any they already possess).
You have suffered enough heartbreak of late and you deserve the best chance of having a long term companion for your boy.

Last edited:
My CX was a show bunny when I acquired him, and he appeared healthy when I got him-clean nose/paws, no sneezing, clear lungs. I had him for a few years before he alone showed symptoms. He lived for almost 13 years. He started to show symptoms when he was six and even though I had multiple bunnies he was the only one who symptoms of pasturella. He different antibiotics over the years, Baytril, Sulfa-Trim, AZithromycin. We also tried antibiotic eye drops (buffered so more gentle) in his nose which helped for a while. He eventually developed atropic rhinitis (I understand it is from the deterioration of the structures in the nose) which caused him to sneeze even when the pathogen was controlled.

IMO you should not limit your choice of companions for Jake. Many bunnies carry the pathogen with no symptoms so my suggestion is to obtain a healthy bunny who will be likely to fight any pathogens Jake may possess (along with any they already possess).
You have suffered enough heartbreak of late and you deserve the best chance of having a long term companion for your boy.

This is similar to my experience & I agree with BM's advice

More hugs for you

I am in tears, I'm so sorry you and youtbunnie had to go through this.
I am so sorry she had to go through that.
Sending love and hugs xx

Sent from my SM-A516B using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the continued support :love: it's reassuring to read Jake should be able to have a friend without problem health wise.

Just given the bunny room a good clean due to moulting, Jake is licking the floor a lot. He's never been one to groom his companions, but wonder if it's in some way related?? :( We don't want to get another rabbit immediately, but since it may take some time to find an older lady, we've contacted two local branches of RSPCA.
830ce0e25fc1e800d70b3a8fe2d1fb59.jpg

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Thank you :love: Licking the floor is new, I wonder if he was missing grooming Jasmine but then he's never been one to groom..

Thank you :love: Licking the floor is new, I wonder if he was missing grooming Jasmine but then he's never been one to groom..
Ah, it's probably not that he's missing grooming her, then, if he never did that... But maybe it's still a sign of missing her? Bunnies can do things like that sometimes out of stress or boredom or if other things are bothering them. It's a big change for him, being on his own. :(

A final update on this - we followed all the complaints procedures, firstly just a veterinary mediation service which is just optional and of course the vet declined mediation. So onto the RCVS complaint procedure which was a very lengthy process. Sadly it didn't pass the 2nd stage, we challenged this but have had a response to say the complaint has been closed. Basically it comes down to the RCVS has no say over negligence, or behaviour that falls below the standard, only behaviour that falls very far below that would likely result in removal from the veterinary register. The RCVS said themselves the bar is set very high. Incredibly disappointing and upsetting.

:cry:I am sorry this process was not successful and also that it reopened the wounds from Jasmine's loss. You did everything right to make her life better. Sending gentle hugs.

This is beyond disappointing and deeply sad. :(

I think it wouldn't be too beyond the pale to say that you certainly don't have to recommend the vet that treated Jasmine with the deadly antibiotic and that it's a shame he sees no harm in it.

Personally I would want to know if someone has a disagreeable (being kind and watching the swear filter here) experience with a vet and what lead to my distasteful and perfectly avoidable end for my animal. It's dancing on a line between caveat emptor and libel I suppose, but after such a result if someone asked me about this vet, I'd relate my experience if it could prevent such a thing from happening again even if all that is mentioned is that this abx is FATAL for bunnies.

I'm so very sorry for you, Liz. :cry: There should have been a very different end to this horrible time. Thinking of you and poor Jasmine. I hope Jake is still doing okay? xxxxx

Back