• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Apollo is not well at all... UPDATE on lab result

LurcherGirl

Mama Doe
When I went to feed the bunnies this morning, I noticed out of the corner of my eye that Apollo wasn't going mad when I fed Benji and Pippa. Normally he starts running around in the cage, making Charlie run too... very impatient to get his food. But this morning, nothing.

When I put the food in, he just stayed in his litter box looking very sorry for himself, eyes almost fully closed. I picked him up and he is very floppy - very unusual as he does not like being picked up at all. He has been sitting in his litter box for the last half hour, sometimes changing positions, but looking uncomfortable. So I have e-mailed into work that I will be in late and Apollo and OH and I are off to the vets' at 8 am to find out what is wrong...

Oh dear I am so sorry to hear your news, we are thinking of you and Apollo, hope he gets better very soon
Please tell us what the Vet says later :wink:

With love and hugs
Adele and the Sanctuary rabbits

My vet checked him over, teeth are fine (which is a relief), first part of guts ok, but second part static... Also his spleen is enlarged which is normally a sign of an infection...

Apollo got three injections to help and I have to bring him back for more injections this evening.

He still refuses to eat and he would not let me massage his tummy at all. I am now at work, worried sick, but there wasn't anything else I could do for him other than wait to let the medication work. OH is at home keeping an eye on him.

I'll keep you updated.

It may be worth trying to syringe feed Apollo with either pellets mixed with hot water or vegetable baby food to try and keep the gut moving. Is his tummy bloated at all?

Tummy is not bloated, no rumbling... If he has not started eating by tonight, I will syringe feed him! But right now, I don't want to stress him out more than necessary (although he loves cuddles on the floor, he does not like being handled when off the floor, he also seems more reluctant than usual at the moment). He ate all the food from last night, so there should be plenty in the system at the moment... (which vet confirmed).

It must be terrible for you sat at work knowing your rabbit is at home ill and there is nothing you can do. :( But like you said there really isnt much you csan do until it starts working.

Fingers crossed for you that when you get home he will be feeling better and on the road to recovery.

Off topic I know, but who is the bunny you have the pic of in your avatar?! It looks like a really beautiful girl bunny. I just hope it is now otherwise I would have upset one of your boys! lol

Off topic I know, but who is the bunny you have the pic of in your avatar?! It looks like a really beautiful girl bunny. I just hope it is now otherwise I would have upset one of your boys! lol

Oh, dear, I won't tell Benji what you just said... he is the boss of the whole clan and yes, he is a HE! He is the oldest one of my lot at 6 years old. He was from a pet shop (I know, I know... but I didn't know about rescue bunnies back then all those years ago) and is probably a French Lop cross (a lot bigger than a Dwarf Lop at 3.5 kg, but smaller than a French Lop).

Vera

:lol:

Probably best to keep that one quiet from him then! I knew I would embarrass myself as soon as I posted that :oops: lol

Well you have a very pretty............sorry handsome rabbit there!

Stacey X

Any news on how Apollo is doing yet?

I got home at 4 pm, Apollo's condition had not changed. I made up a mixture of soaked pellets, finely chopped hay and pro-biotics. At first Apollo was very keen to eat it, but after a few short seconds, he stopped again and was not convinced otherwise. He went into a panic and then went completely floppy. So I stopped as I did not want him to get to this level of stress. I tried to gently massage his tummy, but again he wouldn't let me.

At 6 pm we saw our vet. He said that the spleen was quite large and he looked worried. He gave him another shot of motility drugs. I asked him about a pain killer. He said that they are not really supposed to give steroids (which Apollo had in the morning) together with pain killers. He said though if it was his bunny, he would still do it. So I told him to go ahead with it. That way I had at least a fighting chance to syringe feed Apollo and massage him.

About an hour ago, I tried to syringe feed him again. He didn't struggle much this time, but altough he let me put the stuff in his mouth, he would not swollow it at all. So I am not sure how much I actually got into him.

On the other hand though, he let me massage him now as he was not in pain anymore. He loved that and completely relaxed.

In another hour's time I will syringe feed him again and give him a good long gentle massage.

I hope so much that he will get through this! But I think he is fighting well, so I am quietly confident that he will make it. But it is so distressing to see him like this!

How is he in water? When we washed Zeus in the bath the water was nice and warm and as we massaged in the shampoo he stretched out and began to f-a-r-t (turns out that is a swear word :roll: )- releasing trapped gas! Perhaps like when humans have a bloated tummy the heat helps it to move.

Have you tried a hotwater bottle/snuggle safe on his tummy, letting his front feet stay on the floor but lifting his butt onto your knees (as you sit on the floor behind him) then massage him towards his rear? I have heard this described before as helping the gas to move - the addition of heat might help as well.

Pineapple juice is supposed to help too - we are all thinking of him!

Caz

How is he in water?

I don't know how he would be in water, but all the bunnies that I have had to bath for one reason or other hated it - I can't stress Apollo out more than he already is...

Yes, I do massage him from the front to the back to help release gas...

Time for another feed and massage now... :)

Back